Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Monk, by Matthew Lewis

The Monk
Matthew Lewis

Now THIS is a good book!!! This is another in the way of Lolita and Watership Down, in that I’ve read it several times already—but it's another book that demands rereading every couple years. It’s just so damn good! Because of its high scandal factor I've wanted to teach it, but considering I teach in a Catholic school, the idea of a monk turned rapist and devil worshipper may not be such a good idea.

Oh please! I say. It’s not like it’s not relevant. Sometimes people are so uptight. This is classic literature, folks! And great literature at that.

The book’s main character is Ambrosio, who, as an infant, was abandoned and given to the order of the Capuchins. Raised by the monks, Ambrosio showed great promise even at an early age, and he soon took his orders. He becomes a figure of great piety—easy enough, when you’ve spent your entire life within the walls of a monastery. The only time he ever leaves is every Thursday, when he delivers a sermon to the massive crowds who come to see what they deem a living saint. During one of these sermons, his eyes light upon Antonia, a young girl of fifteen, who just so happens to be the most beautiful, most pious, and most innocent girl in existence. Filled with lust, Ambrosio vows to have her, and he will stop at nothing to do so. And that’s only the beginning!!

Yeah…so probably wouldn’t go over well in a Catholic school. Which sucks, because this is a book I can really get behind. First, it’s a Gothic novel, so there’s lots of creepy, crazy stuff. I also find it amazing that a book this scandalous was written in 1794. Also noteworthy is that Lewis wrote it before he turned 20, which of course makes me feel great that I’m a bit past that age and have nothing this awesome to my resume. The book is not all scandal and sensationalism, however. The book also raises interesting points on the true nature of piety. You cannot be truly pious if you hide from sin. Rather, you must face it daily and refuse it.

Granted, the book can be a bit melodramatic at times, but it's all in keeping with the genre. The melodrama can easily be overlooked in the presence of everything else that is so great about The Monk. On my now fourth read, I'm finding lots of ironic, funny lines I previously missed. And I never cease to be amazed at the depths to which the monk will sink so that he might have his desires. This is definitely a book that gets better with age.

In a nutshell: A fabulous, page-turning classic that gets better with every reading. You must read it, if you haven't already.

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have a question 4 u lol

do u have any summarys of this book.

lol shoot me an email plz john.vidulich@gmail.com if you want to kno my situation.

Thank