Monday, May 15, 2006

Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Lynne Truss

I know I'm more than a little late catching this train, but oh well. I simply couldn't bring myself to buy this in hardback, and it only came out in paperback recently. I'm glad I made such a decision, because it was exactly what I thought it would be: a book about punctuation. Well, I actually thought it would be about grammar period, not just punctuation. Either way, I was not expecting the best book I ever read. I was right.

To be fair, Truss is quite funny and makes her subject matter fun. I enjoyed her witty anecdotes and snarky asides, but at the end of the day, this was a book about punctuation. And I'm an English teacher.

In a nutshell: It's about punctuation. The author is funny, but still...it's a book about punctuation. At least it is blessedly short.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars (5 for humor, 2 in general)

No comments: