Friday, October 10, 2008

Favorite literary villains

In lieu of a review (I'm swamped over here), I offer you a link I've been sitting on for awhile.

The Telegraph has compiled a list of the 50 greatest villains in all literature -- a subjective list, as all such lists are (including the last one, which involved those classics not to read before you die).

Go here to read the full list; then, consider your own favorite villains.

Some of my favorite literary villains are Dracula, the nurse from The Turn of the Screw, the pigs from Animal Farm, HH from Lolita (some may argue Quilty is the true villain but this is my list, dammit, so step off), and Montresor from Poe's story "The Cask of Amontillado."


So, my question to you: Who are your favorite literary villains?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'd have to go with Dracula, Kurtz from Heart of Darkness, Professor Moriarty, and Captain Hook (the last mostly because I hated him as a kid). And, of course, who can forget Voldemort? He's probably at the top of my list.

Unknown said...

I think most of my favorites made the list (Ambrosio from the Monk, Hannibal Lecter, Mr. Hyde, Count Fosco from the Woman in White, Patrick Bateman from American Psycho) but a couple were missing...Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men, for one. Also, Cruella De Ville. And Dr. Frankenstein, who I always thought was the true villain in that story.

Bibliolatrist said...

Ooh - Patrick Bateman is a great one...I can't believe I forgot him!

Anonymous said...

Patrick Bateman made me stop reading for a while, as did Annie Wilkes in King's, "Misery."

I like my villains to be well-rounded characters with a dash of flair. Hmm... I need to think a bit more about this one.