Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Are you a virgin?

Mr. Muo's Travelling Couch
Dai Sijie

You know what? There are some books that defy a serious review. This is one of them. Allow me to present to you Random Facts about Mr. Muo's Travelling Couch:

1. Mr. Muo REALLY wants a virgin.

2. This book was part of my reading resolution.

3. I didn't really care for this book.

4. While a lot happened in the novel, not much ever seemed to happen. Puzzling.

5. This book has appeared under the (much better, in my opinion) title "Le Complexe de Di," or The Di Complex (much like the Oedipal complex that so fascinates Muo). I prefer the other title, as it emphasizes how another's desires influence Muo. In all honesty, though, I probably wouldn't have cared for the book no matter what title it had.

6. I much preferred Sijie's Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress.

7. Oh well.

In a nutshell: In finding a virgin to offer to the wily Judge Di, Muo hopes to free his love from prison. While this sounds interesting, I couldn't must a care for anyone in the bok.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars




1 comment:

Madeleine said...

This novel was a huge disapointement to me. I read Sijie's "Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress" in French and quite liked it, so I ran out to buy this one when it came out.
I could not finish it...a book has to be really bad for me to do this. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

I like your new format, easy to find everything.