Saturday, March 18, 2006

The African Safari Papers, by Robert Sedlack

The African Safari Papers
Robert Sedlack

The African Safari Papers is yet another one of those books that I have been steadily ignoring for years. I finally picked it up, and it actually wasn’t half bad and I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would.

The book centers on Richard Clark, who is nineteen and on safari with his parents. An African safari is interesting in itself, but Sedlack throws a suicidal mother and alcoholic father into the mix. Oh, and Richard is constantly on lots of drugs, too. Looks like a great family vacation is in store for them all.

The story is told through Richard’s travel journal. He recounts their adventures and animal sightings, but the real focus is on the complete disintegration of each of them as their safari progresses. The family’s problems are certainly unique, and, although each faces a lot of pain throughout the novel, I couldn’t sympathize with any of them. I felt oddly detached from them, even the narrator, who really began to grate on my nerves after awhile. Perhaps it was due to the Richard’s acerbic and witty voice that sorta reminded me of Dave Eggers (which may or may not be a good thing). Unfortunately, this style became a bit much at times, especially when Richard entered one of his quasi-philosophical rants that were generally insightful but a mostly just too preachy and annoying.

My other beef with the book was its ending. I can’t call it trite, because it’s certainly unique. And while I can’t think of an ending quite like it, it still seemed a bit too crazy for the book, although I guess it is the most fitting ending possible for a family of lunatics. Still, I would have preferred something a little more subtle.

In a nutshell: At times Sedlack tries too hard to be a modern prophet in the way of Hunter S. Thompson. The African Safari Papers doesn’t present any new ideas but it does try to provide some depth. Unfortunately, not much insight is possible from a 19-yr-old junkie who might be the most selfish bastard ever to have lived. The book is still a good read, though, and it is one hell of an ending.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars.

No comments: