Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby

A Long Way Down
Nick Hornby

I read this book after much debate; months ago, I came across several pretty bad reviews of it, and they were harsh enough to dissuade me from purchasing the book earlier. Fortunately I can say I disagree with them—I really enjoyed A Long Way Down.

I didn’t find the characters impossible to like; in fact, I rather enjoyed them. They are four would-be suicides, who all planned to die at midnight on New Years’. Coincidentally, they all choose the same place, and so the plot begins. Admittedly, they do seem rather unlikable: there’s Martin, an ex-morning-show host who has lost everything due to his stupid actions; Maureen, an older woman with no life whatsoever; JJ, an American who has lost his band and his girlfriend; and Jess, a crazy eighteen-year-old girl. Martin is extremely self-absorbed; actually, they all are, except for Maureen, who seems to be the only sympathetic one. The book shifts from one point of view to another; they take turns narrating each chapter, and I have to credit Hornby for truly making each character seem real. It didn’t seem like the same person was obviously behind each one.

The characters were all so individual and interesting that the book’s 330 pages flew by; the only downside to the book is that, after finishing it, I didn’t necessarily feel I had read a great work of literature. The characters don’t commit suicide (I’m not ruining anything here; that is made clear from the beginning, as they are clearly narrating about something that has ended rather than still occurring), but I’m not sure what the message is. Live, because there is beauty in life? Nah, I don’t think that message came through. However, I think there is a message in the book, although I’m not sure it’s terribly clear or profound. That said, I did enjoy the book, having no familiarity with Hornby before.

In a nutshell: A fast, fun read that won’t leave you understanding the purpose of life, but will leave you entertained and laughing out loud.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the characters are self-absorbed because suicide or the contemplation of suicide does require a certain amount of self absorption. Unless you are someone like Maureen, and then who else is there to think of? If that makes any sense.

I agree it wasn't exactly deep and abiding literature, but I did enjoy that there was no magical change in thinking or lives. These suicidal people didn't suddenly become thrilled shitless with life or something. They made changes and just sort of kept slogging, which is what we all do from time to time.