Thursday, August 24, 2006

Clubland, by Frank Owen

Clubland: The Fabulous Rise and Murderous Fall of Club Culture
Frank Owen

I go through fazes. Right now, I'm really into Club Culture. Yes, I know I'm over ten years too late. No, I don't care.

Actually, my newfound interest in the clubkids was inspired by my devotion to Richie Rich, one half of Heatherette, the fabulous designing duo. (We're MySpace friends, bitches. Don't hate.) Unfortunately, Richie doesn't know that

a. he's straight
b. he's my boyfriend

so I must console myself by reading about the things that even peripherally involved him 10+ years ago. Sigh. But first, Heatherette:

Richie is on the left. God, he is FIERCE. Trevor Rains (the other half of Heatherette) is on the right. Yes, I am aware that I picked the more effeminate half to love. No, I am not interested in hearing what this means about my psychology.

Anyway, my fascination for them led me to Clubland. It received good reviews, and I thought it would tell me about Club Culture. It did, but I got more than I bargained for. It seems that the clubkids are only one part of Clubland; the rest was ruled by various thugs and mafia types. BORING. Have you seen these people dress?

YAWN.

So I will admit that I only read those parts that involved the clubkids. (More on them in the next post.) In an admirable show of courage, I tried to read the other parts, but then zzzzzzzzz. It just wasn't worth it.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars, and those only if you're interested to begin with

How 'bout more Heatherette?


Sigh.

No comments: