Sunday, August 27, 2006

Delights and Shadows, by Ted Kooser

Delights and Shadows
Ted Kooser

I'm picky with my poetry. This is because I believe that much of what passes for "good poetry" these days is actually crap. By crap, I mean that which lacks soul, lacks beauty, just all-around lacks. Most are awfully pretentious, as if obscurity equals some sorth of Truth. (Anne Carson, I'm looking at you, dear.)

So I don't read too much poetry these days, with the exception of Louise Gluck, Mary Karr, Margaret Atwood, and a few other souls who have managed to pierce my rather tough armor. I'm glad I read a particularly insightful review of Ted Kooser's Delights and Shadows, or else I might have lumped him in with the rest of those poets I don't read.

Ted Kooser's poetry is often deemed "accessible," a label that seems damning to the would-be "serious" poet. And while it cannot be denied that his work is extremely accessible, that does not mean his poetry lacks depth and beauty.

Delights and Shadows
tackles not only difficult subjects such as the death of his parents and Kooser's own sense of aging, but also "delightful" topics like the simple beauty found everywhere in life. I won't go into a long discussion of my favorite poems (there were too many) or a long analysis of his themes (which is unnecessary). True, his poems are accessible, but don't be mislead by the term. There is great depth to this work; you'll be able to read "simple" poems again and again and find more and more insights as you do.

In a nutshell: Finally, a contemporary poet that doesn't suck. Everyone can find meaning and illumination here.

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I saw Ted speak this past weekend. I haven't considered buying a book of poetry in years until I heard Ted. I actually used the word "accessible" to describe Ted's work before I even knew that's the word everyone uses. I even got a chance to chat with him for awhile. Definitely the highlight of my weekend.

Bibliolatrist said...

Wow, I'm really jealous! I bet he'd be awesome to talk to. Good for you!

ImageNations said...

I listened to Ted Kooser's podcast and I must say he is a great poet. I love him. Poetry is one of the arts I am engaged in actively, besides reading.