Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Flash Fiction Forward

Flash Fiction Forward

How short can a story be and still truly be a story? This is the question pondered by James Thomas and Robert Shapard, the editors of this anthology. They decided that one shouldn't have to turn the page more than once, a rule I particularly liked, although I'm not sure why. The result is this collection of "flash" fiction, a collection of 80 very short stories by such writers as Amy Hempel, Dave Eggers, Paul Theroux, John Updike, and others of their ilk.

Some stories were very good; others kinda sucked, but because they were short, I didn't really mind. In fact, I was able to read a story here, a story there, and finish the collection in about a day. There's a second collection coming out in January 2007, and I plan on purchasing that one as well.

In a nutshell: A good, quick read, although all-too-emblematic of our ADD, hyperactive times.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

No comments: