Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sinners Welcome, by Mary Karr

Sinners Welcome
Mary Karr

I'm usually not good at reviewing books of poetry, because unless I discuss a few poems in-depth (which I really don't have time for), there isn't much for me to say. Thus, this will be a short review, but at least it will be a postive one.

Mary Karr is another poet I admire. Her poetry is thought-provoking, yet not obscure to the point of confusion. Her latest book of poetry, Sinners Welcome, tackles some difficult subjects (mainly death and other forms of loss), yet the work doesn't come across as depressing or morbid.

In a nutshell: Some good, contemporary poetry that doesn't give cause for complaint. Not every poem is a perfect gem, but a few (like "Pathetic Fallacy" and "The Ice Fisherman") were absolutely wonderful.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

No comments: