Monday, April 23, 2007

If Only Reality were this Simple: The Pleasant World of George Saunders

The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil
George Saunders

George Saunders' novel The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil pokes fun at those governments that would enforce its will upon its hapless, defenseless neighbors. Hmm, that sounds like a vaguely familiar scenario. I wonder where I've heard that before...wait...it'll come...anyway.

The novel involves two fictional countries: Outer Horner and Inner Horner. Unfortunately for Inner Horner, it is very small and located INSIDE Outer Horner. It is so small that it can accommodate only one Inner Hornerite at a time, while the rest remain in the "Short Term Residency Zone." One day, a small piece of Inner Horner collapses, creating what one angry Outer Hornerite (the titular Phil) deems an "invasion" into his great and peaceful land. Naturally, the obvious course of action is to use confusing rhetoric to convince the populace that only the demise of Inner Horner will restore peace and prosperity to Outer Horner. Genocide ensues.

Saunders' political statement is far from subtle, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what he's trying to say here. The president of Outer Horner is an idiot who listens to Phil, some random citizen who is so pompous that his brain often falls out of his ass. Well, not quite his ass, as these characters aren't really human (one is composed of a tuna can, a belt buckle, and a blue light). The media representatives talk out of their asses too, except when they are proclaiming the "news" out of bullhorns.

Saunders' world is fantastical and interesting; the reader certainly sees his point and may very well nod in agreement--until, that is, the end. WHY WHY WHY RUIN A GOOD THING, MR. SAUNDERS??? If you don't want to ruin the end, don't read the rest of this paragraph, but since I don't recommend the book anyway, I probably won't bother you. I'll still do the neat highlighty thing, though. So the book continues along, with Phil wreaking havoc on the poor Inner Hornerites, until...are you ready...GOD COMES DOWN AND DISMANTLES HIM. What the fuck is that all about? Oh, wait, I forgot God literally comes down from the sky and dismantles people all the time. Isn't that what happened to Hitler? Silly me. So it's a realistic ending after all. My bad.

As you can see, I was quite bothered by the ending for ruining what could have been a really great read. Phil ultimately fails as a political allegory for this very reason. It is unfortunate that Saunders offers up no realistic method by which the Hornerites (both Outer and Inner alike) can overcome the ruthless Phil. It would have made for a better (and more hopeful) read. As it stands, Saunders' work is quite funny, but ultimately hopeless.

In a nutshell: It's great! Just don't read the end.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars

4 comments:

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Hello Biblio,

Excellent review as usual... This one I think I'll pass on tho, sounds dangerously like an American speaking only to other Americans.

My question is this - I have noticed that you have a link to Amazon at the top of each article, thereby giving that particular company free advertising. Looking at your link you don't seem to be using an Amazon Associates account so that you would at least get a cut of any sales you send in their direction...

Not tempted to be at least a little mercenary with your free advertising?

Bibliolatrist said...

Hm. I didn't know such a thing existed, but I'd be flattering myself if I thought I were actually sending sales in their direction. But thanks for the suggestion (and the link) -- I will definitely look into it!

Dewey said...

Bad endings ruin more good books than anything else, in my opinion. I wonder if they're just hard to write, or what.

Cipriano said...

Thanks for the review. See, this "Phil" book has been on my Wishlist ever since I read another book by Saunders, called The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip.
I found that book [a children's book, sort of] very hilarious, great original story, and a good sort of "lesson" or moral to it also.
Soooooooooooo..... based on your review of "Phil" here, I may do some revising. Some displacing, as it were.
Cheers.