Monday, December 24, 2007

Bibliolatrist & the Kurgan 4EVA

The Long Walk
Stephen King

Okay, let me get something out of the way. I do a lot of cardio. A LOT of cardio. I walk, run, whatever, at least five times a week. And I can say unequivocally, without a doubt, that I would be the first mothereffer issued a ticket if I were a contestant in Stephen King’s The Long Walk.

Here’s how it works. Every year, 100 “lucky” young boys are chosen to participate in the government-sponsored “long walk.” The rules are simple: walk at a pace of at least 4 mph or you get a warning. Three warnings and you get a ticket. It’s pretty simple. Oh, except a ticket means you get killed.

Four mph??? Without stopping? Not even to pee? Not even to sleep? Four mph is pretty damn fast. I’d like to hear an expert’s opinion on this, because I'm calling shenanigans. I don’t think it’s possible. The long walk goes on for days. I mean, I suppose with the power of the mind and all that, but still. I’d be dead in an hour. Okay maybe two hours, but beyond that I’m a dead man. Woman. Whatever.

I find it simply unbelievable that one can keep that pace going for days. DAYS. Regardless of the possibilities of such a feat, by the end of the walk only one will remain.


There can be only one!


Okay so this is off topic, but how hot is the Kurgan? Many people I know swing more towards MacLeod, but I’m 100% about the Kurgan. He’s so dreamy. Those pins. That bald pate.


hubba hubba


So anyway. As I was saying, at the end of the walk only one person remains. And, yeah, that person gets a pretty cool prize, I guess, but really. Is it worth it?

The Long Walk follows its protagonist, Maine's own Ray Garrity. We watch as the walk briskly begins, and we eagerly anticipate the first ticket. Who will it be? Who can hold out the longest? Who will remain standing?

And while the action of The Long Walk is gripping, it's the psychological aspect that really makes one think. Why did these young men agree to participate in this competition? What about any individual who volunteers to fight such dire odds? And, in the case of the long walkers, is the prize really worth it? Just how powerful is the mind? Can it propel a person to keep going, walking mile after mile for days on end, all the while knowing death is just a stumble away?

In a nutshell: A fast, engaging read that won't blow your socks off but will leave you racing to the end.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

This was originally written under King's pen name Richard Bachman and I have it in a collection of stories called The Bachman Books. My favorite is Rage.