Monday, May 04, 2009

Ah, push it -- p-push it real good

Button, Button: Uncanny Stories
Richard Matheson

I was interested in reading "Button, Button" after hearing a film version starring Cameron Diaz would be released this summer. "Button, Button" is a short, gripping, and fast read, so I took a gander at the rest of the stories. For the most part, I wasn't disappointed.

The premise behind "Button, Button" is an intriguing one: would you kill a total stranger in return for 50,000? Okay, this story was written in the seventies, so, adjusting for inflation and keeping in mind our current "hard economic times," would you do it for a million? All you have to do is push a nice little button. That's it. Somewhere in the world, someone will die. You'll get the money and can live guilt-free. I mean, it's not like you actually know the person, right? And, of course, there's always the possibility that no one will die at all. Anyway, I'd like to think I wouldn't do it, but I suppose I'll never know. And I won't tell you want the characters in the story will do, either. IT WILL BE A TOTAL SURPRISE TO YOU.*

The other stories were, for the most part, just as good as "Button, Button." There were a few stories that fell flat for me, but the majority of these 12 stories kept me entertained. Considering I read the entire collection in under a day, I'm pretty pleased.

Of the others I enjoyed, there's "No Such Thing as a Vampire," which puts a cool spin on the Dracula myth; "Girl of my Dreams," in which a girl who dreams the future is used by her enterprising boyfriend; "Tis the Season to Be Jelly," which illustrates the effects of playing with science; and "A Flourish of Strumpets," which introduces the reader to some very unique marketing techniques.

So, dear readers, I have to know: would you push a button that kills a random stranger in return for an insane amount of money? Be honest now...

In a nutshell: Not every story wowed me, but this collection was an entertaining read that didn't hurt ye olde braine too much.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars




*Actually, that's not entirely true. But it's still a good story anyway.




5 comments:

TexasRed said...

Definitely sounds like interesting ideas. I'll be on the lookout.

Jo said...

Ineresting idea. I'm going to take the moral high ground and say I wouldn't do it, and I really don't think I would! After all,if its a totally random person, it could be yourself that dies. (I'm sure thats not the way to look at it!)

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Wooh! Jen Reviewed a Matheson...

Score... Just when I was losing the faith.

Surprisingly I haven't got this one, will have to look out for it.

dsbs said...

I wouldn't. I know I'd feel guilty and anything I spent the money on would feel unearned - blood money. I WILL read the book, though - same guy who did I am Legend, right?

Bibliolatrist said...

same one!