Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nothing remains but to let the darkness come

Julian
Gore Vidal

I don't know where on earth I found out about this book (I've never before read Gore Vidal, and I'm not particularly interested in the Ancient Romans), but I'm so glad whoever it was introduced me to Julian. Simply put, this book was amazing.

My surprise at the awesomeness of Julian comes as a result of a few hefty handicaps already stacked against it: for one, I keep confusing Gore Vidal with Al Gore, a man who -- despite his good intentions -- seems to me synonymous with TEH BORE. For another, the summary of the book made me feel like reading Julian would be as much fun as reading a textbook. Clearly, I was wrong on both counts.

Although such an overview is laughably superficial, I'll do my best to give a quasi-informed look at the man that was Julian Augustus. The emperor Julian was many things: philosopher, military strategist, essayist, and Hellenist. As a Hellenist, he rejected Christianity (despite Christianity being advocated by his uncle, Constantine the Great). However, Julian (also known as Julian the Apostate) did not want to force his countrymen to worship the old gods; rather, he sought to institute a society of religious tolerance in which all could worship freely. Unfortunately, not everyone was thrilled at such freedom.


Julian


Julian, for his part, never sought the throne. From the time he was a young boy, he aspired only to be a philosopher. The fates had their way, however, and Julian eventually took the throne. Vidal chronicles Julian's life from the time he was a young boy up to his death at the age of 32. The novel is told from a few perspectives: that of the Emperor himself, and two of his friends, the philosophers Priscus and Libanius.

right: Gore Vidal

Julian's portion is told from a manuscript taken after his death; Priscus and Libanius have their say via letters to one another and in notes annotating the text. This interplay often gave rise to humor, especially as rivalries and jealousies arise between the two old philosophers.

In a nutshell: In rereading this review, I feel I've made an awfully good book sound frightfully boring. This couldn't be further from the truth. Julian is what historical fiction should be: fascinatingly intelligent, deeply moving, and highly entertaining.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5.5 out of 6 stars




4 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

You definitely got MY attention. I have the same Gore Vidal/Al Gore problem you do, though it would likely be remedied if I'd read any of Vidal's books. I'm currently in the middle of a book about the Battle of Thermopalae so I'd likely enjoy another ancient history novel in the near future. This will be on my Friday Finds this week - thanks!

Bybee said...

Aren't they distantly related?
I'm interested in reading Burr by Gore Vidal.

Anonymous said...

wow...what a literary selection! i'm a bit intimidated to try something this scholarly so close to summer...but your review is so good that i might give my brain a workout over the holiday weekend! thanks. :)

Vince said...

Defintely read Burr. That's his best historical novel. I'm not a fan of historical fiction because most of it doesn't seem plausible - Vidal makes it come alive.