Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Angels & Demons: Skim and Toss

Angels and Demons
Dan Brown

To be fair, I went into this one with eyes wide open. I knew the writing would be sub-par, some scenes would be melodramatic, and the plot gripping. For the most part, I hit the nail right on the head.

I won't go into the plot, since most people are already familiar with it. Basically, the novel follows symbologist Robert Langdon, who gets embroiled in a mystery that plots the Catholic Church against those who champion science. Of course, Langdon is in a race against time ... yadda yadda yadda.

That said, I enjoyed reading, even if skimming was way too easy. The characterization was a bit shallow, and many points were foreseeable. However, the worst aspect for me was the overly-simple nature of the prose. I would have liked to see this novel written by one with a way with words. In better hands, this novel could have been more than just a page-turner.

In a nutshell: Predictable in places, groan-worthy in others, gripping in still others. A perfect beach book.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3 out of 6 stars


6 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

Thanks for the review- I'll probably pass on this one! :-)

Chrisbookarama said...

That was my impression too: beach read.

Florinda said...

That pretty well sums up my thoughts on this book too - but it made a pretty good movie. Dan Brown has good stories, he just doesn't seem to write them terribly well.

Madeleine said...

Hmmmm, I'll wait for the movie to come out on DVD.

Good prose is a must for me, I have been lucky in that these past few month

Anonymous said...

i read this a few years back--while on vacation! it was entertaining...but not award winning by any stretch. thanks for the review!

ImageNations said...

read this and enjoyed it. Thought it was okay, especially after reading the Da Vinci Code.