Monday, April 05, 2010

The Savage Readalong: Week 4

Ok. I've finally finished Week 4 of the Savage readalong, and I must admit: I skimmed the shit outta this mothereffer.

Sigh.

Again, I must say, were it not for this readalong, I'd have given up long ago. As it is, I'm a week behind. I just couldn't do it last week. I guess I knew what was in store for me.

What was in store for me was an interminable stretch of random accounts of people who barely even knew these two fools. One account lasts 16 pages, yet hardly mentions Lima or Belano. So, yes, I skimmed.

For now, I'm just struggling to get through this behemoth. I'll try to make sense of it later; maybe I can understand what Bolano is driving at after I've finished.

Hopefully.

How about you, fellow Savages? Are you experiencing similar difficulties? Are you also forcing yourself to plow through, regardless of the fact you're deriving little to no pleasure from the experience? Or is it just me?




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I share your feelings about this part of the book. It's been a slog for a while now. I haven't even started part 5 of the read along yet because it's been so awful last few sections.

booklineandsinker said...

sounds painful...glad i'm not along for the ride on this one. life is too short to be tortured by books i don't like...though i admire your fortitude. :)
--nat @book, line, and sinker