Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Savage Readalong

Friends, readers, blogosphere: lend me your ears!

Beginning March 1, I and a few intrepid friends (I hope) (please?) will tackle Roberto Bolano and The Savage Detectives. Because I am (perhaps unreasonably) daunted by this book, I need people to help me (and to kick me in the ass if needed).

So why not a readalong?

ERGO, each week we'll read a small snippet of the novel. These snippets will be small. Or small-ish. (It's not an easy novel to divide: it's divided into three parts. Part II has 26 chapters. Part I has 0 chapters. (Hence the daunting.) Anyway.)

So here's what I'm thinking: each week, we'll read about 75 pages. Every weekend, we'll discuss. Or post. WHATEVER. I've never done one of these before, so forgive me for not knowing what I'm doing.

Anyway, a rough schedule involves something like this (all page numbers refer to the paperback edition; if you're working with something else, let me know):

Week 1: read pages 1-75
Week 2: 75 - 139
Week 3: 143-220
Week 4: 221-296
Week 5: 297 -360
Week 6: 361-420
Week 7: 421-489
Week 8: 490-588
Week 9: 590 - end

So who's coming with me? Give me nine weeks and a fear of failure, and I think I can take this book.

(PS - If these chunks are too much for you, let me know! I'd love to have you either way :)

Sign up below!



4 comments:

Vasilly said...

Count me in for the read-along!

Unknown said...

I'm still in.

Rincey said...

I'll give it a shot :)

J.C. Montgomery said...

This read became much less intimidating. Not sure how well this will work out for me, but I'm willing to give it a shot!