Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Cover blurbs finally got it right: this book is perfection

Atonement
Ian McEwan

There are certain books that, after having finished them, one almost weeps for the experience. Reading Atonement, my first McEwan novel, was just such an event.

I’d heard his name bandied about for years, generally in connection to high praise or a literary award, and every time I’d come across another McEwan reference I’d think: “Oh yes, I really *do* need to read some of him right away” and then promptly forget all about the resolution. I only wish I had followed my intuition years ago, or else I would have sooner read Atonement, what might be McEwan's most well-known work (in addition to, perhaps, On Chesil Beach).

To say Atonement was astounding would be putting it mildly, and there really isn't much I can give in the way of praise that hasn't been said by persons more qualified than I. For once, all the praise, all the cover blurbs hailing McEwan as the second coming of [insert lit-changing author here] are true. Suffice it to say, I feel compelled to go out and buy every work of his I can lay my hands on, and I’m just thankful I purchased Saturday at the same time I grabbed this one so I need not wait.

For those of you who haven’t yet read this work (I feel as though I’m the last one to board this train), Atonement is a study in how one person’s incomplete understanding of a situation can have irrevocable, life-altering results. Briony, a young girl given to fantasy, witnesses a scene between her older sister and a young man. Naïve and immature, Briony entirely misinterprets the scene and imagines a reality far different from the one inhabited by her sister. Possessed by her truth, Briony feels compelled to act, and in so doing sets forth a chain of events that will change the lives of everyone involved.

Please bear in mind that the above summary does entirely zero justice the novel, which is grander in scope and much more compelling than it might seem. At first, Atonement forced a visceral reaction from me that prevented me from finishing the book more quickly. I loathed Briony with a passion and could not bear to read too much of the book at once. I wanted to tear the pages of the novel in an attempt to beat this brat senseless. As the novel progresses, however, the characters grow and change, and so too did my perspective. By the end of the novel, I had come to feel a sort of pity for Briony (even though I’d still like to give her a good smack), whose life is also forever affected by her unwise, childish actions.

Finally, IMDB lists this film as being released in the UK in September of this year. Has it premiered over here yet, or have I just been dolefully unaware of it? I’m not sure I can take Keira Knightly as Cecilia, but I suppose one must push on, regardless of the misfortunes life throws one’s way. Sigh.

In a nutshell: If there’s a flaw in this book I can’t find it, but far be it from me to point one out if I could. Atonement = perfection.

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars

4 comments:

Sam said...

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about the book. You're not the last one to jump on the train because I've yet to read one of this man's books. Much like you, I've had good intentions about reading him for a long time but I always seem to get sidetracked by something else. It's hard to explain how that happens when the author has the reputation of this one.

Thanks again...maybe, I'll finally read the book now.

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

All-right Biblio, lets trade McEwans.

Enduring Love (for your readers, I reviewed it here, but you fo course have already commented on it) was my first and while I'm on a holocaust fiction kick at the moment, I really want a couple of his book for the holiday season... On the strength of this review, I'll mooch it. Do the same with Love, please.

Cheers, nice to trade books with you.

Anne Brooke said...

Must admit I thought it was rather long-drawn out but the end and twist was fab!

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

I spent the first third of this book totally frustrated with the Briony character and wondered when this 'acclaimed' story was going to kick in. Thank god I persisted. The rest of the book was totally compelling. I'm not a romantic [and this is by no means a soppy romance] but I was very invested in these characters - McKwan made them so real. I loved this book and was so glad the movie did it justice.