Monday, November 19, 2007

Wasting away the moments that make up a dull day

Here's a blogging meme I stole from Dewey. I should have another review posted tomorrow on The Grass is Singing, another Doris Lessing novel.

1. Do you remember learning to read? How old were you?
According to my grandmother, I learned to read at two. I can’t help but think she’s exaggerating, though. Perhaps she just means that I would read back the stories that she read to me. If she is correct, I’m a genius and I should be elected next ruler of the world. That is all.

2. What do you find most challenging to read?
I don't so much find anything in particular challenging to read; I do, however, find it challenging to read after a long day or when I'm tired. It's right to sleep if I do.

3. What are your library habits?
If by “library habits” you mean “shopping habits,” then I spend way too much on books. I always say I’m going to visit the library, but I really need to own my books. It's kinda like a fetish. I have a hard time letting go of them as well, something I have to do every so often in order to save space.

4. Have your library habits changed since you were younger?
Yes. When I was younger, I visited the library. Now I don’t.

5. How has blogging changed your reading life?
It’s kept me writing, which is the most important aspect of blogging to me, especially since I’m no longer a student so I don’t have the pressure to write like I used to have. It’s also a great way to remember what I’ve read, and I’ve “met” a lot of really great people through my blog. It also helps me decide which books to read next. I also read differently, since I’m always reading with a review in mind.

6. What percentage of your books do you get from: New book stores, second hand book stores, the library, online exchange sites, online retailers, other?
Online retailers, probably 95%. The rest would be from new bookstores.

7. How often do you read a book and NOT review it in your blog? What are your reasons for not blogging about books?
Hardly ever. I don’t review cookbooks, and I don’t review books that I’m teaching.

8. What are your pet peeves about ways people abuse books? Dogearing pages? Reading in the bath?
When people use my book as a coaster. (Yes, this has been known to happen.) Or when people bend the spine. Or the pages. Or the cover. Basically, if you touch my book, I hate you.

9. Do you ever read for pleasure at work?
All the time. That’s one of the perks of my job.

10. When you give people books as gifts, how do you decide what to give them?
It depends, really. I try to match a book to their interests, obviously. Generally I avoid the book gift, since I don’t want to be the “oh, look, the English teacher got me a book for a present” person.

3 comments:

mrmook said...

You don't visit the library anymore?

Really?

Bibliolatrist said...

I know, I really should get to the library. I don't have the space for all the books I purchase and my husband loves to remind me about the fire hazard.

All the same, though, if I really love a book, I HAVE to own it, and I get upset when I have to return a book I loved to a library. The big problem, obviously, is when I purchase books I end up hating (or feeling indifferent towards), which happens quite frequently.

Plus, when I buy books, I usually do so online, and they come right to my front door. It's just so easy; it's like I don't even have to go looking for them. Perhaps if the library offered the same service I'd use it more, since the whole "not leaving the house" thing is a big factor for me.

It's something I need to work on, I know. Sigh.

Dewey said...

I smiled when I saw your title in my feed reader. My favorite album ever.