Monday, February 11, 2008

I can't think of a title and I have to get ready for work, so...here

Immortal
Traci L. Slatton

If you had been gifted with an abnormally long lifespan, how would you spend your time? It is lofty to imagine spending your days in the pursuit of knowledge or beauty, but I imagine I’d probably do a whole lotta dicking around, just like I do now. When you account for the state of the world, the environment, my own vices, etc., I figure I have about a week left to live, and yet I STILL can’t tear myself away from my playstation 3. However, don't say I'm not making progress in life: I'll have you know I've graduated from the "easy" level and currently play Guitar Hero on medium.

Luca Bastardo would understand. He, the star of Traci Slatton’s Immortal, has been blessed (or cursed, depending on whom you ask) with an abnormally long life. While he does spend a lot of time pursuing “lofty” ideals, he also spends a lot of time screwing chicks and trying to turn lead into gold. Somehow I don’t think he’d condemn me for my playstation fascination.

Immortal takes place in Florence during the Italian Renaissance. The novel begins as Luca, a young boy with no memory of his parents, is a beggar on the streets. Struggling to survive using only his bare wits, Luca’s beauty will, as it does many times throughout his life, lead to misfortune. Betrayed by a friend and sold into the cruelest of slaveries, Luca soon learns to turn the dubious gifts of extreme beauty and longevity to his advantage.

Luca’s beauty and longevity are riddles that he cannot explain. His life’s quest is to find his parents, the only ones who can confirm the myriad theories he has developed to explain his existence. At the same time Luca searches for his family, he also searches for the other missing element of his life: true love. His search leads him to encounter a bevy of figures, both historical and fictional. Of course, it comes as no surprise that Luca earns more than a few enemies along the way, even as he becomes friends with such illustrious figures as Giotto, Bocaccio, Gebel, da Vinci, and even the Medicis. Although Luca befriends many famous people, his enemies never lose sight of him, forcing him to dodge both them and scourges such as the Inquisition and the Black Death.

Will Luca evade his enemies long enough to find the answers he so desperately needs, or will the Inquisition capture him as a witch who uses sorcery to stay so young? And will he ever find happiness -- or is he destined to wander alone through time?

In a nutshell: Luca’s quest for love and family is enthralling; Immortal kept me engrossed despite the siren call of Guitar Hero III.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

3 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

Sounds like a fascinating and engaging exploration of a topic that never fails to excite the curiosity. I think we all can't help but wonder what we'd really do if we were immortal.

raych said...

Yes, I would definitely dick around. I would totally pimp out my blog, and then try to find some sort of illegal income to finance my incessant book-reading and chip-eating.
Looks like an interesting read.

Sam said...

I'm expecting a copy of this one any day now, and your review has made me anxious to get my hands on it...thanks.