Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stuff to read and a reason to write

I love lists. Lists are fun. I like to write them, like lists of things to do, or books to review, or chores to be completed. I get a Babbitt-like sense of joy upon crossing off another task completed.

My first list concerns the top 50 children's books. I'm sure we'll find something missing; I, for example, was agog at the omission of Little Women.

I don't really care for comic books, but I DO like lists, so here. Apparently, I should read these comic books before I die. Somehow I don't see myself doing this one. And as for THIS ... hmm. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

This last list concerns bands whose music should be made into a movie. I'd like to throw Tool into the ring; I guarantee the scene featuring Hooker with a Penis will be one for the ages.

And finally, I'd like to showcase this new writing contest, which selects monthly winners. According to the site, "Monthly contests allow for revolving judges with differing opinions and more chances at publication" -- so polish off your best work and send it on in!

1 comment:

Dewey said...

I don't think Little Women was meant to be a children's book. Children read it, yes, but only hardcore readers (like us!) read the full version as kids. There are so many abridged children's editions. But I don't think Alcott intended to write for an audience of children.

Still, I agree that it would have been nice to see it on that list.