Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The dead know nothing

What the Dead Know
Laura Lippman

It seems as though What the Dead Know took me FOREVER to read. I started it in October (I think), but finished the majority of the novel last week. As such, it counts as another title in my reading resolution, although I'm disappointed to report that reading this book wasn't as enjoyable as some other titles I've read so far in 2009.

What the Dead Know is a mystery thirty years in the making. When a woman involved in a car accident claims to be one of two young sisters who disappeared thirty years earlier, investigators return to the case that has stumped them for so long. Unfortunately, things don't add up. Why is this woman coming forward now? How can such a bizarre tale be true? Why does she refuse to aid the police in their investigation? She's hardly reliable, and yet it's clear she knows something.

I'd like to say that I enjoyed What the Dead Know more than I did, but, truth is, I found it pretty mediocre. I was able to predict certain truths, and the writing wasn't particularly scintillating. Furthermore, some parts dragged and I felt the novel could have been shortened substantially.

Unfortunately, my reaction to this book has left me feeling less than adequate, since I've read quite a few glowing reviews of What the Dead Know. What's wrong with me that I didn't enjoy it more? Oh well. No time to ponder such profundities -- I've got more books to read.

In a nutshell: Yawn.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars




3 comments:

Jana said...

I really enjoyed this book--I can't remember if I found anything predictable (I don't think so) but I know that it didn't drag for me. Probably just one of those that just didn't suit your tastes.

However, I highly recommend attending one of Laura Lippman's signings if you get the chance. I saw her not too long ago and it was one of my all-time faves.

Anonymous said...

Shoot! I'm kinda bummed that you didn't like this very much since I thought it was almost up there with Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories," but to each his own, right? There's definitely nothing wrong with you. I've certainly been been in your position before.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!