Friday, February 27, 2009

The downward spiral

Dangerous Laughter: Thirteen Stories
Steven Millhauser

My reading resolution has stalled.

I've been in a reading funk lately, unable to read more than a few pages at a time. The book that marked the beginning of my downward spiral? Dangerous Laughter.

Steven Millhauser's Dangerous Laughter has been described as one of the best books of 2008. Unfortunately, I couldn't agree. I had to force myself to finish the majority of the stories in this collection: the stories were boring, the writing so-so. Many pieces were clunkily "profound."

I'd recount with more specifics, but I can't even be moved to do that. I'm so disappointed; I waited so eagerly for this to come out in paperback, and reading it has been such a major let-down. I'm bummed.

In a nutshell: Seemed kinda flat and lifeless to me. I expected so much more based on all I'd heard.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars


4 comments:

Madeleine said...

Hmmmm...I wonder if I should try this book? I read "THE KING IN THE TREE" last year and gave it a 4 out of 5. Life's to short to waste on so-so books I'll skip this one.

Anonymous said...

I just bought this myself in paperback myself. BiblioGuy has taken it to read, although I don't see him carting it around very often. Maybe he feels the same way you do. So sorry to hear you didn't like this. I'd still like to read it though; I just won't press BiblioGuy to hurry up and finish with it.

I hope your next reading selection is better. You were on a roll there! You can do it! Rah, rah, rah!! =)

Rincey said...

Aw, I just got this book because it had come so highly recommended. hmm... No harm in trying, at least it is on the shorter side.

Bybee said...

I'm planning to read Martin Dressler by the same author. Hope it's not a disappointment. I really liked Edwin Mullhouse.