Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Manderley!

Rebecca
Daphne DuMaurier

Despite my glee at April's arrival, I'm grumpy. Why? I didn't purchase a new copy of Rebecca, one of the latest titles in my reading resolution. Instead, I bought a used copy, thinking I wouldn't really care about having an old and used one.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. I've fallen in love with this most-amazing book, and now I'm pissed that I don't own a better copy. Also, I'm angry that I totally sucked on this resolution this month. And, not surprisingly, I'm behind in my reviews.

But I digress.

I feel as though I'm the only one who didn't know the story of Rebecca, so a summary probably isn't necessary. If you're one of the few left alive that hasn't raved about this book, allow me a brief recap: our young narrator has just married the man of her dreams: the rich and mysterious Maxim de Winter. Things aren't so peachy, however, after their return to the de Winter estate, Manderley. Mrs. de Winter finds it impossible to run such a large household, and it seems as though she's doomed to fail. Even worse, the housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers, seems to hate her, her husband seems to be hiding something, and everywhere she turns, she is haunted by Rebecca, the first Mrs. de Winter who died a year before. You may think you know what's really going on -- but just wait. The suspense slowly builds until the mysteries of Manderley are unveiled in a stunning, surprise ending.

For years, I had heard Rebecca was good, but I didnt realize it was THAT GOOD. I couldn't put it down. I read while working, during eating -- even in the car (hubby was driving, obviously). Upon finishing the novel, I felt engulfed by the sadness one only feels at the end of a rare, amazing book. I could go on -- in fact, I can't say enough good things about Rebecca -- but now that I'm so far behind in both reading and reviewing, I haven't the time. Suffice it to say, if you haven't yet read this novel, do so immediately -- I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

In a nutshell: Suspenseful, gorgeously written, utterly un-put-down-able -- Rebecca is a glory of a novel.

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars


11 comments:

Sarah said...

I confess I've never read Rebecca, I must change that soon as it sounds wonderful.

Molly said...

I have never read Rebecca either BUT it is my husband's all-time favorite movie AND I just purchased my own copy at the brand new BN bookstore last night. I am hoping to find the time to read it soon - it has been on my wish list for quite some time.

nutmeag said...

This has been on my to-read list for a while. I guess I'll have to jump it up on the list, just for this awesome review. Thanks!

J.S. Peyton said...

This book has been on my TBR list forever. I need to rectify that soon, but I'm working my way through a bunch of classics right now so maybe "Rebecca" isn't too far off. They just came out with a new edition paperback too. You could always give your used copy away and buy a new one. = )

Amanda said...

Oh I love this book! I first read it in high school...I think I picked it up off my grandma's book shelf. And I loved it! You have to watch the movie. It's a classic.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I've not read this one yet but it is near the top of my TBR list - it sounds just wonderful!

Mimi said...

I read it for the first time last year (and my Blog header quote is from it) - I agree, fantastic book.

And, my copy looked just like your copy. I later swapped it out on a book swap site.

Ana S. said...

Yes, yes, yes! I totally fell for this one too.

Anonymous said...

why haven't i read this classic yet?!?!?! i have to get it pronto! thanks for the reminder.

Bybee said...

I'm glad you love it! I'll echo you in saying that those who haven't read Rebecca, do so immediately.

Monique said...

I have this in my reading schedule. But I have a couple of more books to read first.

Your book got me so excited.