Monday, April 20, 2009

No easy answers here

The Book of Revelation
Rupert Thomson

This far in my reading resolution, I've somehow avoided works by those authors whose names appear toward the end of the alphabet. Seeking to balance things out, I picked up Thomson's The Book of Revelation. I was surprised to find this book such a mind-blowing read.

Here's what I knew going into the novel: a man goes out for cigarettes. Instead of reaching his destination, he is instead kidnapped. Obviously, his life is forever changed.

The reality, however, is much, much more unsettling. He is held for eighteen days by three women whose faces are never revealed to him. They abuse, rape, and mutilate him repeatedly during his captivity. And then, without warning, he is released, returned to life.

Except, of course, returning to life will not be that easy.

He becomes obsessed with his captors, intent on finding them and having his revenge. Knowing only their nakedness, not their faces, he goes to extreme lengths to learn whether each woman who has crossed his path is innocent or not. The result demonstrates the effects of violence both on the individual and on society at large.

The Book of Revelation is a simple enough read, but is one that stays with you for a time after it's finished. Be warned that it's disturbing, but quite powerful. I came to care for our nameless narrator and know that -- somewhere, somehow -- he's found peace at last.

In a nutshell: Intense, disturbing, and gripping...The Book of Revelation won't easily be forgotten. The narrator's captivity and abuse is only a small portion of the novel, so readers shouldn't be dissuaded from reading based on this aspect of the novel.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars


4 comments:

Madeleine said...

I will definitely add this book to my must read. I just read a 5 star novel which disturbed me also, MY ABANDONMENT, my review is on my Blog

P.S FaceBook deleted me 2 weeks ago, I had to reinvite everyone. Could you get back on my site I appologize, I am told if they do not see action they sometimes delete you, I was active and they still did. Embarrassing, some friends thought I removed them :(

Habe a nice week

Anonymous said...

geez...this book sounds a bit unnerving! i can't imagine such a horror. i'm interested in reading this but am afraid i might get a nightmare or two! i'll put it on my list, but with a note not to read it when i'm home alone! thanks for the review and for pointing out a book i might have missed otherwise!

of thieves said...

I remember reading this, but can't remember much about the end of the book. I remember feeling vaguely disappointed...and it annoys me that I can't remember why. I really loved the cold savagery of the kidnapping section. Perhaps I was so geared up by it that I failed to appreciate what calm arose at the end. Damn. I wish my memory were better.

Bibliolatrist said...

Estelle, the ending has to do with the narrator coming full circle, thinking he's found one of his abductors in a bar...hopefully that rings a bell without spoiling it for others. Anyway, I liked how it came full circle, although I had come to care for the narrator and was dismayed by the ending.