Thursday, January 07, 2010

Kinda mediocre and somewhat offensive

The Moth Diaries
Rachel Klein

First of all, I'd just like to say that I read this book in 2009. I caught a bad bug that spanned both decades (sounds crazy right? Not really), which prevented me from updating sooner.

Okay, so the pros: It was a fast read (I read it in one day). It features an unreliable narrator, and unreliability is always super fun. There may or may not be a vampire in it. (The uncertainty! Sqee!) And...did I mention this was a fast read? BAM!

Unfortunately, I felt the cons outweighed the pros: I can't put my finger on it, exactly, but The Moth Diaries just didn't sit right with me. The writing was okay, the plot was okay, the characters were okay. But nothing made me stand up and say good morning, know what I mean? Unlike THIS:


a really, REALLY big moth (and random child)
Good morning!


Also, there is this whole condescending tone of "mental illness as something you choose," which REALLY didn't sit well with me at all. See, the point of the book is that EITHER our narrator is crazy OR ELSE there really is a creepy vamp stalking her schoolmates. Of course, it doesn't help that said narrator is taking a course in Gothic Lit and so therefore may be projecting. Then again, her good friend, who is most likely the vamp's #1 Target, IS named Lucy (a nod to Dracula, right?), so maybe Klein is directing us to the fact that the other chick IS a vamp. WHO KNOWS? (insert dramatic music here)

Now, this is sorta (but not really) spoilerish: The mystery is never truly resolved. Insane narrator? Vamp? The reader must decide. Our narrator, however, has apparently decided it's the former. At the end of the book, she's all: "I just had to decide to become human" or some shit and I was like -- eh? Because you were totally diagnosed as borderline personality + paranoia and a whole bunch of other stuff that is kinda not like a choice. I just felt like that was a shitty way to end the book, but no judgment from me or anything. (SARCASM)

In a nutshell: Kinda mediocre and somewhat offensive.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: This one was purchased for me as a Christmas present. (Sorry, mommy! Don't worry: I liked the next one better.)




1 comment:

ImageNations said...

speak your mind. If a book doesn't cut it just doesn't cut. thanks