Monday, January 25, 2010

The triffids will kill us all

The Day of the Triffids
John Wyndham

I must thank m'dear Biblibio for bringing The Day of the Triffids to my attention. I'd been woefully ignorant of this novel; what made it so good?

A short look online prompted me to nab the book -- it seemed like something I would love. And I did -- I read it all in one large gulp. The prose is simple and straight-forward, the plot compelling. The two combined created a novel that I couldn't stop reading until I had finished.

The novel begins as Bill Masen, in the hospital with a bandaged head and covered eyes, realizes something has gone horribly wrong outside. He soon comes to understand that nearly everyone has gone completely blind -- the result of staring at a celestial phenomenon the day before. Fortunately for Masen, his recent injury had prevented him from witnessing the phenomenon (something that had angered him at the time, but which later seems to be quite fortunate).

At right: some crazy triffids

Masen leaves his room and searches for survivors. There aren't many though -- and, what's worse, he's got the triffids to contend with. These mobile, carnivorous plants began appearing all over the world years before. Despite their dangerous nature, triffids became quite a lucrative enterprise and were thus cultivated in spades. Now, as the triffids begin killing the helpless blind, that decision doesn't seem too intelligent.

Are the triffids connected to this worldwide blindness? And can the survivors rebuild? How can they prevent the inevitable return to savagery? Will the triffids claim the earth?

In a nutshell: Spooky, thought-provoking, and prescient, The Day of the Triffids is a classic that shouldn't be missed.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: Bought this one meself, suckers!






6 comments:

booklineandsinker said...

i've never read much sci-fi, but this sounds fun (and familiar?). it's such fun to read books suggested by other bloggers--it's why i can't get through my TBR pile.

Cath said...

I can't decide whether to laugh about this review or go and lock my windows, draw my curtains. Either way, I have to read this book now! Thanks!!

Jeanne said...

I've heard of this, but never read it. Now I think I have to.

Meytal Radzinski said...

I'm pleased to have had such a good influence in my one and a half words on the book! Ah, but it truly deserves it. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still a little scared to look up at the night sky... how's that for a good book?

Tribute Books said...

i like sci-fi will look into this one.Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

Goddamn I love this book...

This book is in someways more "London" to me than any other book I've ever read... I first read it before I properly lived there, but once you know the city the degree to which Wyndham roots the whole thing in place really comes out... I adore the way he sets the first Triffid attack in Russell square, and the fear he fills St Johns Wood with. Yeah, I almost recommend reading this one with a map on your lap, but really the best way to get it is to live there while reading it.

This is the great British SF novel, it's the British I Am Legend... Glad you loved it Biblio - you always have taste.

Edwin.