Monday, January 11, 2010

OATES: My first-ever challenge!

Have you heard about the O.A.T.E.S. Challenge?!

As a rule, I generally avoid all reading challenges, simply because I always stubbornly refuse to do anything that feels like an actual task. I'm lazy; I can't help it.

BUT, when Trish over at Hey Lady! announced the OATES challenge, I knew I had to join. Doing so is an extra kick-in-the-pants that will (hopefully) force me to complete as much of my reading resolution as I possibly can. I have all of 2010 to do this, so I'm thinking positively. I CAN DO THIS.

The rules are simple: Starting with Joyce Carol Oates as O, choose any literary author whose name begins with A, T, E, or S. My list looks like this:

O = Joyce Carol Oates
A = Anne Radcliffe
T = Leo Tolstoy, Anthony Trollope
E = George Eliot, Edith Wharton
S = Stefan Zweig

I haven't yet decided what level of the challenge I will meet (will I read one book per author, or more?) because too many rules make me squishy. I'm just proud I've given a challenge a try.

Wish me luck!




4 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Have fun with your first challenge. I will warn you: they are extremely addictive.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Good luck with this one! And I agree with your first commenter - challenges are REALLY addictive. ;)

Bybee said...

This looks like fun...and I have an Oates on my TBR that wants reading...must be strong, must be strong..must be........

Bibliolatrist said...

Do it, Bybee!

As for challenges being addictive: I can tell -- I almost signed up for another one this morning! Gotta take this slowly, though, or else I'm going to short-circuit. LOL.