Monday, December 06, 2010

Back from the dead.

SO, life, in all its wonders has intervened since my last post many eons ago.

Life + stress + work = no time for blogging -- which figures, because I totally killed the RIP challenge. Of course I would be too busy to gloat recap the first time I've ever successfully completed a challenge.


SIGH.


So, anyway, here's a bunch of stuff I've read lately in order of awesomeness:


Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
  • SASSENACH! GAH JAMIE I LURVEEEE YOU. Why are you so hot and yet so fictional? WHY OH WHY are there no magical rocks that can buzz me backwards in time?? (Also, why do they not smell? Because the entire time, I just kept thinking that everyone must stink to high heaven.) Anyway, they gave this shit away for free on Amazon. HELLO, THIS BOOK IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. How dare Amazon give this gem away for free? Anyway, completely insane and completely awesome. I immediately finished it and downloaded the second book in the series. Jamie Fraser 4eva!!1


The Gates, by John Connolly
  • Short, lovely little tale about the gates of Hell opening up in someone's basement. And, there's Nurd, who's actually a lovely little demon. Charming and fun.


Dark Harvest, by Norman Partridge
  • This one was nice, fast, and spooky. Oh, and it qualified for RIP, for what that's worth. Some pumpkin kid comes to life and the town's teens have to destroy him before Bad Things happen. Note: It was much better than I'm making it sound.


Neverland, by Douglas Clegg
  • This one was atmospheric, Southern Gothicky, and a little disturbing. Isolated children get up to no good and they may or may not be making sacrifices to the devil. And then Bad Things happen. Also, RIP. This one was pretty good, although it didn't ruffle my muffin or anything.


Dead City, by Joe McKinney
  • Apparently this one's about zombies, although I needed google to remind me about that. Still, it was a good story and got me through more than a few goes on the treadmill. Also, not a total bummer of an ending. And, RIP.


33 A.D., by David McAfee
  • This one involves vampires and Jesus. Apparently vampires were the ones responsible for the crucifixion of Christ. Who knew? Actually not as bad as this sounds, although there's a reason it's at the bottom of this list. But still, vampires + Jesus, so take from that what you will. And, RIP.




Finally, I'm also reading like a dozen other things that I've stopped about halfway though because Gabaldon and her web of fantasy have rendered me impossible to read like a normal adult. And, that life thing again.

Hopefully normal posting will resume soon.





9 comments:

raych said...

Welcome to Jamie's harem, you may please take a number.

Also, isn't there a point in this book (or the next one? They're all one book to me) where Jamie tells Claire that if she'd just rubbed his nose in her 'oxter' (which google tells me is an armpit and not something more salacious) then he wouldn't have been as skittish of her. I think the implication is that he is like a horse that way. And probably other ways. IF YOU CATCH MY MEANING AND I THINK YOU DO! *fans self*

raych said...

That...was in reference to your comment about them not smelling. I got distracted by my own horse comment and forgot to clarify.

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

welcome back! the image in this post is horrible. hahah. now, i need to know more about 33AD. is that premise for real? argh. these vampire books need to go the way of the 8-track player...

Budd said...

welcome back.

Cath said...

Welcome back! And welcome to the world of Outlander. I hope you look back fondly to this love in your heart now when you get to the most recent book and have to read about geriatric sex. But for now: cherish. :)

Lesley said...

Jamie is definitely one smoking hot literary character! Having just read the second book, I'm curious if you've gotten to it yet and what you thought? I'm waiting on the third book in the series now.

Oh god, I just read CR's comment above mine about geriatric sex. Gah!

Lesley said...

Oh, and a big ol' LOL! at Raych's comment!

College Textbook said...

I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing.

Mahin said...

nice writing , carry on