Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sometimes a little negativity can actually be positive

I found this meme on negative reviews over at the hidden side of a leaf and thought it was interesting. Then I googled "grumpy" and found this grumpy cookie. Now that's what I call kismet.

But damn I could go for a grumpy cookie right about now. Hell, I'd even take a happy cookie.


1. When you dislike a book, do you say so in your blog? Why or why not?

Absolutely, because I believe that books – whether good or bad – should evoke a visceral reaction in the reader. The worst reaction I could have is one of total apathy. In fact, I’d have to say that some of my best reviews were for books I didn’t like.


2. Do you temper your feelings about books you didn’t like, so as not to completely slam them? Why or why not?

I won’t slam a new author, but established ones (like Crichton) who write shite books and make millions off them – that’s a different story.


3. What do you think is the best way to respond when you see a negative review about a book you enjoyed?

Books are meant to provoke thought, conversation, an exchange of ideas, so the best way to respond to a negative review is to do so politely, in the interest of creating that exchange of ideas. The worst way would be to write a total asshole reply in which you call the reviewer names. I’ve had it done to me before and such comments say a lot about the commenter. Either spark an intelligent dialogue or keep your mouth shut.


4. What is your own most common reaction when you see a negative review of a book you loved or a positive review of a book you hated?

I don’t care too much if someone takes to a book differently than I did – in fact, I actually like that better, because a different opinion usually further informs my own. At times, an opposing review will only strengthen my original take on a book, but other times it makes me question myself. Either way, I really can’t lose.


5. What is your own most common reaction when you get a comment that disagrees with your opinion of a book?

As long as the comment is polite and rational, I am always open to comments that disagree with my opinion. I started my blog to create a place where I can interact with people about the books I read, and if everyone just says “I totally agree” and “You’re so right” all the time, that interaction becomes a bit stagnant. Disharmony creates growth, so long as people are polite.


6. What if you don’t like a book that was a free review copy? What then?

I agree with Dewey: this is a tough one. If the author is just starting out, I feel unethical slamming them, but I also can’t lie. I’ll either not review the book or else give it a bland review; thankfully, this hasn’t happened too much.


7. What do you do if you don’t finish a book? Do you review it or not? If you review it, do you mention that you didn’t finish it?

If the book is so bad that I was literally unable to finish it, then yes, I do review it. It’s only happened a couple times, and generally the situation involves a book so bad that I felt the need to warn others about it. Usually though, I always finish a book, even if it takes me awhile to get around to it.

No comments: