Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Survival of the Fittest

It's over.

This is the worst time of year as far as I'm concerned. It is a time when days off are few and far between, a time of endless stretches of monotony. It is a time of bleak weather and bleaker minds, a time when true learning takes a backseat to getting an A. It is a time when students and teachers alike are harried and cynical, every second's passing being felt painfully, long as hours.

Thankfully, I've survived.

After tomorrow, I will enjoy a ten-day break, enough to last me to summer. If I can make it that long, I will revel in the freedom of entire days to myself. If I can make it that long, I will reclaim my self for myself. If I can make it that long, I will run, I will read, I will do whatever the fuck I please even if it means I don't brush my hair or change out of my pajamas. If I can make it that long, I will post again. A lot.

If I can make it that long.

I can. I will. I must.

In more uplifting news, I've enjoyed a spate of excellent reading as of late, so be on the lookout for, among other posts, reviews on:

The Terror, by Dan Simmons
Rape: A Love Story, by Joyce Carol Oates
Enduring Love, by Ian McEwan
Soldier's Heart, by Elizabeth Samet
The Grandmothers, by Doris Lessing

And yes I know I've been attempting to review Lessing forever but god forgive me but discussing that damn thing is just so not what I want to do so suffice it to say that it was good but I read too much Lessing all at once and now I never want to hear her name mentioned again so please just bear with me...whew)

In the meantime, in the spirit of greener pastures yet to come, I give you Portishead's latest. It's been quite awhile since they've released a new cd, and I say it's well worth the wait. Their newest, Machine Gun, is below; below that is one of my favorites, Over, from their live cd.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck and hang in there!

I am really curious to hear about the Joyce Carol Oates. I tend to either love her work or hate it, and I like to get some general ideas before wading in.

Bybee said...

Your vacation plans remind me of what I was doing at this time last month...sigh...insert brief lament here... Have a wonderful break!

KH99 said...

I recently read The Terror myself. Can't wait to read what you thought of it.

heather (errantdreams) said...

I am soooo looking forward to some sunshine. I hope you get some soon!

I'm looking forward to your take on the Oates story. I've heard good things about it and have it on my wishlist. I often find her work a bit tough to read, but worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

I had been feeling lowdown. And I snapped out of it! Yu can check out my post on that on my other blog. Just click the link:

Constant split into two