Thursday, September 24, 2009

Warning: Ignoring this book will have sinister consequences

The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

So, for months upon months, all I've been hearing is people rave about The Hunger Games. I, being the snooty bitch I am, ignored such praise, since I, of course, do not read YA fiction. Sneered I, I'm sure it's good...to TEENAGERS! And lo, Bibliolatrist ignored the words of the great prophets, and her heart was hardened.

Fortunately, I couldn't ignore it any longer. This book was everywhere I turned. I would hear sinister laughter echoing behind me at odd times, only I'd turn around to find nothing there. I knew it was The Hunger Games. I'd often feel someone following me, but the culprit would vanish before I could catch it. I knew The Hunger Games was following me.


Every dark corner echoed with sinister steps;
this omnipresent novel will never give up!


So even though most (if not all) of you reading this have already devoured The Hunger Games, I'll nevertheless recap the plot for the 0.0001% of you who haven't yet enjoyed this most awesome of novels:

It's the future. The US no longer exists as we know it. Now, 12 districts surround the Capitol, which exacts a terrible price for the districts' submission. Each year, two tributes from each district -- one boy and one girl -- must fight to the death in a televised event known as the Hunger Games. The winner -- there can be only one! -- earns both fame and wealth, and the winning district receives food and other luxuries for the entire year.

Katniss, the girl tribute from District 12, is our protagonist, and we follow her as she leaves her home and prepares to enter the Hunger Games. She, along with Peeta (the other tribute from her district), are sent into a vast arena full of traps -- not to mention deadly foes. OMG, WILL KATNISS SURVIVE??? (Since this is the first book in a trilogy, this isn't the most difficult question to answer.)

Still, despite not truly fearing for Katniss' safety, I couldn't put the friggin thing down. I tore through that beast in a couple hours, barely stopping to eat. (And, trust me: that's saying something.) At night, I dreamed about The Hunger Games. I lovelovelovelove this book like the enchanted tree loves Schmendrick.



In a nutshell: OMG IT IS THAT GOOD ... I just wish Katniss had a different name. And Peeta too. I mean, Peeta? Really? UGH.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5.5 out of 6 stars




8 comments:

ImageNations said...

Who said those who haven't read this book are in the minority? Perhaps it depends on your sampling frame, which might be the Western readers but since the internet is global it implies that that assertion is at best biased. Hahahaha...okay I have not even heard of it let alone read it. That's why I said this. So I would search, pity I can't buy items over the net, and read it. Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ok, I am that 0.0001% you're talking about. Seriously, I have no desire to read this book. Oh I WILL read it (eventually) but I don't want to. At this point I'm waiting for the 3rd book so I can read them all together.

And you totally caught me with the Schmendrick comment - I was *gasp* skimming your post until that point. :)

Anonymous said...

Great review.

I recently did a review on Hunger Games too - you're welcome to come read it if you have a moment!

www.myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

Florinda said...

I'll be the next-to-last person to read this, but I do have it in the house, at least :-). I plan to read it and Catching Fire back-to-back.

I'm kind of with you on the names, though. That may actually be one reason I've held off on reading the books :-).

Anonymous said...

*heavy sigh*

everybody use-a me for de fish.


haha, you havent stolen it if I bestow it upon you! super sick app - share that shite around, I say! the more peeps with fish on their pages and their original version of it the better!

Elena said...

I feel like I have to read this book, just because everyone is reviewing it, and i won't be cool in the blogosphere if i don't read it, kinda like that kid that never had pokemon cards...

Lesley said...

I've been seeing this book EVERYWHERE the last few weeks but before that it wasn't even on my radar. It wouldn't be one that I'd normally pick up but since it's getting such great reviews (including yours) I may have to put this one on my to-read list.

Bybee said...

I saw this at walmart for a reasonable price in hardcover when I was in the states and didn't get it. I've been kicking myself ever since, because now I want to read it and I know that it would get passed around and loved a lot over here.