Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Victory is mine

Dark Places
Gillian Flynn

My absence, dear friends, hath nary an excuse to support it. I'd like to say that I've been using my time wisely, filling it with charitable deeds and random works of kindness, but instead I've just been watching every episode of True Blood (Eric!) and biding my time until the return of Jersey Shore.

(Please don't judge me.)

I have, however, done one good thing since my last post: I have -- now, brace yourselves -- VISITED THE LIBRARY.

Now, now, now: I know what you're thinking: have I fallen ill? Fear not, friends, I'm neither ill nor lying: I actually went to the library instead of buying books.

Anyway, that's where I stumbled across Dark Places, and since I'd enjoyed her previous work, Sharp Objects, and because Dark Places has been on my TBR list for awhile now, I thought, why not?

Ok, so, Libby Day's family was murdered by her older brother over twenty years ago. Since the murders, she's been in a fog of sorts, but one day she realizes she has no more money and then she encounters some people who don't believe her brother is guilty and before you know it she just up and decides to find out what REALLY happened the night her family was butchered.

Improbable? Yeah, a bit, but it works. Glad I got this from the library, though. (Take from that what you will.)

In a nutshell: Like Sharp Objects, Dark Places is a bit sensational and a bit unbelievable, but it's ultimately a fast, compelling thriller. Great summer reading.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: The library FTW!

victory is mine







7 comments:

Trisha said...

I can completely understand how True Blood can take over your life and commandeer all your focus. I watched the first two seasons on DVD so quickly it made my head spin. Eric is so freaking yummy.

BookQuoter said...

Thanks to this post, I am encouraged to read Sharp objects that I've had for two years.

Cath said...

I am so glad you are back! I also am addicted to the travesty (awesomeness) that is Jersey Shore. What can you do?

I liked Dark Places, but I agree that it was totally unbelievable in parts. One of the things I really did like, though, was how believable Flynn makes her poverty. Not romanticized or prettified at all.

Did I say already that I'm glad you're back?

B said...

Ahhh True Blood. Eric is my favorite as well :)

christina said...

I really loved Sharp Objects. But thanks for the review. I'll make sure that I check it out from the library instead of purchasing it.

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

i live at 'the jersey shore' but have never watched the show. most of the cast aren't even from new jersey and just feed the rest of the planet's opinion that people from nj are just like the parodies on the show.

people who live along the coast are much more laid back and quiet--the super-tan, super-gelled, super obnoxious people tend to be from north jersey, staten island, or new york. :) hee hee.

as a resort town, we welcome the tourists but love september and october when the weather is nicer and it's more quiet.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've enjoyed ALL of G. Flynns books. Thanks for the great review.