Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Halfway to zombification

Club Dead
Charlaine Harris

My patience with Sookie is officially wearing thin.

In fact, I've decided that every time you read some Sookie, God zaps a bit of your cerebral cortex. I'm halfway to zombification by now.

So, let's see, what happens in Book 3? Sookie gets her dumb ass involved with another mystery involving supernatural creatures (this time, werewolves and other shapeshifters). Vampire Bill treats her like shit, but it's cool because Sookie's as dumb as a bag of rocks.

(Okay, okay, she's mad at him [for other reasons than the rape-y bits] by the end of the book. But ten bucks says I know how Book 4 begins: makeup sex.)

Also, I'm kinda unkay (typo, but I like it) with how rape is acceptable so long as you're raped by your significant other. Cause Bill has a tendency to do that, even though I know he's a vampire AND THEY HAVE NEEDS, woman.

Also, it's RIME of the Ancient Mariner, not "rhyme." Who edited this nonsense novel?

In a nutshell: You know I'll be reading Book 4, so who's the real fool here?

Bibliolatry Scale: 2 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: personal Kindle copy

n case you're interested: Book 1, Book 2, Book 4




12 comments:

Cath said...

The rime/rhyme thing makes my teeth hurt.

I've never read a Sookie Stackhouse novel, but damned if I don't love reading about other people reading them. And I love this one, so it's all good for me. :)

Serena said...

you made me giggle, but I think you'll be surprised there is no makeup sex in book 4!

Bibliolatrist said...

Serena, WHAT??? I almost think you're lying!

Actually, I read the summary for Book 4 and it sounds pretty good! (More Eric.) I'm sure I'll read it sooner rather than later -- they really are perfect for the treadmill!

Jen K said...

I think this may have been my least favorite in the series. And yes, more Eric in the next book - that's always a good thing.

raych said...

They ARE perfect for the treadmill. That is exactly where I read the first one. But eGADS, impatient by book 3? I...will probably still read them.

Trisha said...

Once you start, you can't stop no matter how bad they are for you. Believe me, I know. :)

Becky said...

Okay, I had serious book hate by this point too, but the fourth book turned me around. :) I still get impatient with the whole thing about Sookie being so hot that men can't resist her bit, but I do think there are a few books after this that get better. How's that for a gently nudge? :)

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

this review is a crackup! i've never read this series and don't really need to get wrapped up in another book series that wears out its welcome after a few novels (hello, stephanie plum and kinsey milhone, i'm talking to you girls.) but, like you, i always read the next installments! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Sookie series, they're perfect for a fun, quick read. Book four is my favorite. In the words of a dear friend, "it's quality with a k." Don't give up until you finish book four!

Stephanie said...

I only read the first book in this series, but the rape issue really diminished it for me. I know we're suspending disbelief here -- and setting aside our normal moral standards 'cuz -- well -- people are having sex with *vampires.* :-) But it was still hard for me to get around.

By the way, the title of your blog is incredibly awesome!

Shelley said...

Sigh, the supernatural.
Sigh, zombies.

Jessica said...

I gave up on these books after book 6, same old same old EVERY time. I love the TV show though in my opinion its an improvement on the books