Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Harris chick done got me good

Dead Until Dark
Charlaine Harris

Reasons why I should hate Sookie:

1. Sookie? SOOKIE?

2. ugh, simplistic writing!

3. ugh, simplistic characters!

4. Speaking of which, Sookie has the intellectual capacity of moldy cheese. (She decides to have sex with Bill WHEN???? And WHERE is the best spot for this adventure???? Sookie, just jump in front of a bus, please. I mean, REALLY.)

5. Every character seems like a joke.

6. SookieSookieSookie

However, I couldn't hate this book. I tore through it while I was on vacation. On a cruise. When I could have been eating, drinking, partying, etc. Also: Eric. And, the simple writing makes for a fast read.

(Don't get me started on the show, though. Even though I'm enjoying it, every friggin male looks like his hair's been cut with a chainsaw, and Anna Paquin's jacked up teeth are horrifically mesmerizing. But: Eric.)

Oh, yeah: Sookie's a telepath and there are some murders and some vampires and by the end of the book the murderer is caught and blah blah blah blah.

In a nutshell: So bad, but sooo good.

Bibliolatry Scale: What in the hell do I give this? A 2? (Under normal circumstances, yes.) A 4? (It was enjoyable enough.) Okay, then: 3 out of 6 stars. For what it's worth.

FTCBS: Sigh. Personal copy. BUT BUT BUT it came from Walmart, so it was only like 5 bucks. BOOYAH!

In case you're interested: Book 2, Book 3, Book 4



6 comments:

raych said...

Exactly, yes. It made me dumber to read it; I will definitely read the rest if the opportunity presents itself and nothing else is readily available.

Andi said...

LOL, best review I've read of these yet. Oddly alluring in every way.

Dylan of Tilden said...

No one writes reviews like you. Best book review site I know.

Trisha said...

It seems many of us feel the same way about these books...and Eric. Oh, Eric.

Jamie said...

LOVE THIS REVIEW!! It is the SAME exact way I felt about this book! It's like literary junk food! You know it's so bad but it tastes soo good!

Becoming a follower of this blog for sure!

Amanda said...

LOL! I found the paperback at a library book sale. Fifty cents so I thought why not? I read about five pages and put it down. Wow. Not sure if I'll ever get around to reading it. And I watched one tv episode and thought "never again". Hahaha.