Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Summer of Sookie continues

Dead to the World
Charlaine Harris

Okay, y'all, you said Book 4 would be good, and it was. But it was sooo bad, too. Charlaine Harris, I'm shaking my fist at you.

Let's see. Sookie's just finished wrasslin with the werewolves in Book 3, so now it's on to another superbad baddy. This time, it's witches! (Highlight for small spoiler, I mean it's not gonna ruin the book or anything.)

So, anyway, Sookie's driving home and bam! Naked Eric everywhere. Clearly, this is headed in a good direction. And he's all memory-less (and therefore nice and sweet-like). OKAY!

Basically, Sookie's gotta make things right by going up against the aforementioned, not-really-spoilery baddy(ies). Which she does. While Eric hides in her house. So far, so good.

And it would have been absolutely perfect had it not been for the sheer laughability of it. Sookie is good at prompting second-hand embarrassment (even she admits she isn't the savviest of wits) and her awkwardness delayed me from finishing one particular scene. (We're talking a couple paragraphs. That took me two days. She's just so damn awkward, that Sookie. I mean, at one point Suckie [typo, but it stays] says -- in all seriousness -- "I could tell that flicked his Bic." Really? You really thought that? NO YOU DIDN'T.)



Damn you Charlaine Harris, laughing all the way to the mothereffing bank!

Bizarrely, however, I liked this book all the better in spite of -- or perhaps thanks to -- its absurdity. I just can't quit you, Sookie! See you in Book 5!

In a nutshell: ERIIIIIIIIIIIIICC

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: personal kindle download!

In case you're interested: Book 1, Book 2, Book 3




2 comments:

Trisha said...

This is the installment that kept me reading. Eric is just so freaking hot.

Shelley said...

Simon is responding to the work "book about vampires."