Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Return to Rakhat: the Children of God read-along

Children of God
Mary Doria Russell

A few months ago, I read a little novel called The Sparrow. I was floored. Amazed. Awestruck. Then, I learned that Heather and Florinda were hosting a readalong of Children of God in August. I waited with breathless anticipation. Tenterhooks were involved. Finally, August arrived.

I cracked open the book, eager to see how Sandoz was faring. How was he making out with his wonky, yet badass, hands? Was he still a damaged, broken puppy? And what would Life after Rakhat be like for him? And even more importantly, would Children of God live up to its predecessor?

I needed answers, and I needed them fast.

Sandoz, for his part, manages as best he can, given the circumstances. Unfortunately, I wanted more of him than Children of God had to offer. Then again, the worst has already happened to him, so there isn't, as other reviewers have noted, a great sense of urgency in the novel. I was also disappointed that Children of God is more political and focuses substantially on life on Rakhat. As such, I wasn't as entranced by the story. While I tore through The Sparrow, I found myself taking longer to read Children of God.

The Sparrow was suspenseful in ways this novel wasn't. Also, the moods of the novels were very different. Ironically, one of the discussion questions (I didn't want to post too many for fear of spoilers) reads:

Which book is "darker"? (According to the author, most people like the second book better even though they say it has a darker feeling to it.)

I find myself thinking about this question long after I should have answered it. To be fair, I find them equally dark, although the darkness in each is different. I found the darkness of The Sparrow compelling, but found the darkness of Children of God oppressive.

All of this is not to say it isn't a good novel -- it is. Without the spectre of its predecessor looming over it, Children of God is a solid work. The Sparrow blew my mind, though, and it's hard work overcoming that.

In a nutshell: While I may have enjoyed The Sparrow more, Children of God is an admirable follow-up that gives everyone, both Sandoz and readers, closure. And thanks again to Heather and Florinda!

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: Personal copy






5 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

For me, I need closure in a story like this so I tend to like CoG better. The first book packs more of an emotional punch though. So glad you read along with us!

Jen K said...

I loved both books but I'm surprised by the statement that people prefer Children of God. I'm definitely with you - both are amazing novels, but The Sparrow had a much greater emotional impact on me.

Florinda said...

You pretty well summed up my own thoughts comparing the two books. I find that I tend to think of them as a single story, but I prefer the first part of it.

Thanks for joining the Read-Along! I've linked up your review in the wrap-up post :-).

ImageNations said...

Haven't read this but would look out for it.

Ranjeetha said...

Nice to see your blog. Its really very nice. I like books very much.

Thanks..
http://www.hyderabadonlineflowers.com