Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Spoiler free: Mockingjay!

Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins

So, the odds were ever in my favor when I learned that the kindle edition of Mockingjay was released at the same time as the "real" version. Woohoo! I could join in with the rest of the fangirls (and boys) and find out how this sitch would play out.

Don't worry, I won't spoil nothin.

So, spoiler free, eh? Okay, I can do this. Collins has achieved the nearly impossible: she has ended her trilogy satisfactorily, without weaseling out of anything painful, and yet somehow still giving her characters the ending they deserve.

At times, I was a little eye-rolley at the continued melodrama of Katniss' love triangle, but Collins anticipates such feelings, as one character snarkily remarks on Katniss' constant boy problems. Also, there are a few places where things get reaallll convenient, but that's part of the fun, too.

Still, the ending was perfect, and the final line? Absolute perfection. Erase any fears you may have that Mockingjay will disappoint. It won't.

What else needs to be said? If you're a fan of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, you simply must read Mockingjay. And if you're not a fan, well...what's wrong with you?

In a nutshell: Ultimately, the trilogy ends well -- but not too well -- for those we have come to love since reading The Hunger Games.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: personal Kindle edition...awwwww, yeah





3 comments:

Trisha said...

I still haven't started this series due to my ridiculous book buying ban, but I have the whole set on SwapTree and on my Christmas wishlist for the husband, so only a few more months... :)

Amanda said...

I really enjoyed this one. I didn't like Catching Fire so much, so it was good to discover that this redeemed the series completely!

Amanda said...

O my gosh. I've never bought an eBook but I just might on this one. I don't own the first two although I read and loved them. Arg. Decisions decisions decisions.