Thursday, July 01, 2010

Good book, bad review

Death of a Murderer
Rupert Thomson

This was a bit of a serendipitous read, as I happened across it in the library of my cruise ship. The day at sea had been a stormy one, perfect for just reading. I'd read other novels by Thomson, so I felt fairly safe in giving this one a go, especially since one critic called this Thomson's "masterpiece."

The novel opens as an infamous child murderer dies, leaving a bit of a pickle for those in charge of disposing of her remains. One officer (Billy Tyler) is given a twelve-hour shift guarding the body in the morgue. During his time there, he reflects on his life and the life of the murderer.

Hm. That's it. Despite my awfully boring summary, this book was actually pretty good. Tyler is a convincing character, the prose is simple yet mesmerizing ... yadda yadda yadda. I got nothing.

In a nutshell: Please forgive me for such a shite review.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4.5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: Library copy ... for once!




2 comments:

Kristen M. said...

We all feel like writing reviews like this at one time or another! I don't think it's a shite review if it's honest. :)

Bibliolatrist said...

Thanks, Kristen!