Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hunting ghosts, words, and the perfect place to write

And now for a few things I've been finding quite interesting as of late:

I'm excited: it's a Wednesday in June, so that means a new episode of Ghosthunters airs tonight! If you have the Sci-Fi channel and haven't yet checked out the show, you're missing out. Pictured here are Jay and Grant, the founders of TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society).

As regular readers of Bibliolatry know, I love all things spooky. TAPS seeks to document evidence of the paranormal, but what's best about the show is that they actually try to disprove any and all evidence which might support their position. Doing so ensures that when true evidence is found, it cannot be contradicted. Regardless of whether any evidence is found (and quite often they find some pretty freaky shit), the show is always fun, especially when a doofus or two -- coughBriancough -- is around.


Now let's move from hunting ghosts to hunting words. Author Chris Baker (pictured here in his writing space -- see below for more about that) is undertaking quite an interesting project in which he is writing a single book using random words contributed by 10,000 strangers.

I first became aware of his project through his mySpace page, that magical medium through which perfect strangers can be friends without ever needing to meet in person. To find out more the project (and maybe even contribute to it yourself), visit his site here.


And finally, we move from hunting words to hunting for the perfect place in which to write them. Kimbofo over at Reading Matters linked to this great article from The Guardian, which features the writing rooms of several authors.

Apparently, a writer's room is not complete unless it contains the color red, as many of the rooms can attest. In that case, I'm in baby! I don't mean to be a conformist but in this case it appears great minds think alike. It's safe to say I envy them all for one reason or another, but Geoff Dyer's (pictured here) is one of the more unique ones.

Feel free to post your own writing spaces; pictured below is mine. Red walls? Check. Smart-looking post-its on nearby surfaces? Check...sorta. Books? Check in spades. (My full collection resists being captured by one measly photo, mwah ha ha.) So far, so good. Oh, wait: Distracting television to prevent me from productivity? Check. Disgusting tangle of wires to catch all the cat hair my pesky feline leaves in her wake? Check. Large, looming clock that emphasizes every second misspent playing Mystery Case Files? Check, dammit.

Ok, so it has its flaws.


4 comments:

Dani Harper, Author said...

Enjoyed the blog. I love the paranormal too. (You might like my blog "But do ghosts believe in me?" at http://blog.myspace.com/romancingthewolf)

Enjoyed the writing space blurb -- so tell me more about red. Is red a creative color? Does it give energy for writing? (If so, I'm going to add red to some places in my house right away, LOL)

Thanks for the read.

Dani Harper

Dewey said...

Well that was fun, looking at all those rooms!

Bibliolatrist said...

Great question, Dani, and I decided to do a little hunting.

According to this page, red is "stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing."

This page says red maintains "health, strength, physical energy, sex, passion, courage, protection" and is the color of birth and intense emotions, among other things.

Finally, this page says that red "is the color most chosen by extroverts and one of the top picks of males. On the negative side red can mean temper or anger...Red is associated with fiery heat and warmth. It can also mean danger (burning)...Red is the color of blood, and as such has strong symbolism as life and vitality. It brings focus to the essence of life and living with emphasis on survival. Red is also the color of passion and lust. Put some red in your life when you want: increased enthusiasm and interest, more energy, action and confidence to go after your dreams, and protection from fears and anxieties."

Not sure if I buy into it, but I certainly feel more energized in my red room than I do in rooms of different colors. Of course, I don't have a big, fluffy sofa to lie down upon in here, either.

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Rhode Island and drove by the Ghost Hunters' plumbing company everyday - they had a sign on the outside of the building proclaiming it. It was kind of neat to watch the show and recognize places (and sometimes faces) as they were cruising around RI. We've since moved and canceled our cable, though, so I don't watch their exploits anymore.

I haven't visited RM lately so didn't see that link - thanks for posting it here. I'm such a voyeur when it comes to these kind of things.