Friday, July 13, 2007

A post for other paraskavedekatriaphiles

Everything's Eventual
Stephen King

I love when Friday the 13th comes around. I guess that makes me a paraskavedekatriaphile. In theory. You'd think that the day (or at least the night) would feature lots of Friday-the-13th-type movies. You think they'd at least play Friday the 13th, Part I, but in recent memory they haven't played a single scary movie in the past few Friday the 13ths. It's really annoying.

I have EIGHT HUNDRED channels and yet I STILL cannot find a single good movie on Friday the 13th.

So let's read instead. I thought a little Stephen King in honor of Friday the 13th might be nice.


Happy Friday the 13th!


Now I have an admission: I'm a King fan who doesn't often read his books. I read the Dark Tower books, which I loved. But for some reason I haven't read much of his other stuff, whether because I've already seen the movie, or because it didn't get a good review, or simply because I'm too busy reading other stuff. Everything's Eventual, however, has been brought to my attention because of the success of 1408, a movie I haven't seen and probably won't see for at least a year despite my furious desire to see it.

Why? I rarely go to the movies. I can't be penned in such a small space with so many strangers. I just can't do it. For this reason, I've been to a movie theater three times in as many years, to see The Village, 300, and most recently, Transformers (which I didn't even see the end of; I had to leave just before the big showdown between Optimus Prime and Megatron. Long story.)


gee, I wonder who won?


Since I've obviously used up my yearly theater quota, it's clear I won't be seeing 1408 any time soon. Better get the book.

Everything's Eventual has been slammed on Amazon, and I'm not quite sure why. No one buys Stephen King expecting Shakespeare. And while it's true that not all of the stories in the collection are awesome, there is enough for anyone who enjoys a spooky tale to enjoy.

First, let me clarify that most of these stories have appeared in one form or another before (another gripe on Amazon was that these stories were not "new" to readers). Consider yourselves warned if this is a problem for you. For example "Riding the Bullet" was previously published as an e-book and a few stories were previously published in The New Yorker (unfortunately not during my tenure as a subscriber). These stories were new to me, so I'm a happy duck as far as that goes.

To briefly recap a few of the 14 stories contained herein: "The Little Sisters of Eluria" returns to the adventures of The Dark Tower's Roland Deschain and explains another bit of the history of this character (although you can enjoy the story without being a DT fan). "Autopsy Room Four" recounts one man's terrifying experience of being dead to the world, even though he is most certainly still alive. "All that You Love will be Carried Away" is the story of a man planning to commit suicide. As most people know, "1408" is a story about a haunted hotel room. Sure, he already wrote The Shining; does that diminish the quality of the story?

Many people seem to think so, as the most common problem Amazon reviewers had with these stories is that they were not original. That may be true, but I'll say again: no one expects Shakespeare from King, they expect a good story, and a good story is exactly what King delivers here. There are only so many stories under the sun; repetition is bound to occur. Thankfully, there are clear differences between similar works like The Shining and "1408," and fans of chilling stories should find plenty to like here.

In a nutshell: Not King's best work, sure, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. Not all the stories deliver chills, but most will definitely entertain you one way or another.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4.5 out of 6 stars

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I do admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the short story though. And some are better than others, that's for sure.

One of my favorites of his short stories is The Mist. It really scared the bejesus out of me when I read it. I saw they are making a movie too!

Bibliolatrist said...

Ooh - I'll have to look into that one. I love getting scared. Thanks!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

My best friend has EVERY Stephen King ever made, including a free ebook that was on his website.
I, however, have nightmares when I'm forced (and I have to be forced) to watch scary movies.
I watched "The Stand" and loved it though. And "Stand By Me". So, now you've made a few recommendations that I'm going to try.
I love his book "On Writing" which saved my butt in my wandering in publishing.

Sean said...

My husband bought this book just the other day, thinking he hadn't read it. He was in the middle of telling me how great the story about the autopsy was when I told him how it ended. We've both read it before.

It does contain one of my two favorite King short stories, "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away." It worries me that Stephen King and I share this strange hobby. My other favorite short of his is "The Last Rung on the Ladder" from Night Shift. For a horror writer, he does melancholy very well.

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

I'll stand up straight and admit it: I'm a King fan...

Not universally, and not always (I read my way through 6 and a half novels before realising I really didn't give a shit what happened to Roland Deschain) but I think the man has an outstanding talent for theatrics and romance, and that hidden beneath that talent is a literary skill of an equal to John Irving (who as far as I can tell is Stephen King's twin with fewer booksales and more credibility)

Bag Of Bones, Hearts In Atlantis and The Dead Zone are masterpieces by any mode of measurement... It's going to take until he's dead dead dead in the cold cold ground for him to be treated as the Dickens of the later 20th century (a populist with serious power)

ErinPaperbackstash said...

1408 was an excellent movie, which is surprising since I tend to loathe King's stuff, especially if the director is his hang-on Mick Garris. Yech. Seeing 1408 - free courtesy for movie employee friend - is the first time I've went for a year.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on to your blog by stumbling into the literature section at another site. I love your choice in books and just want to say, while I am slowly working my way through the Dark Tower series, my other Stephen King books have been sent to the garage to hide in a box for about 10 years as they started giving me nightmares sitting there on my bookshelf. All except The Stand!