Monday, September 10, 2007

Well I'll be damned -- it really IS that good

The Kite Runner
Khaled Hosseini

For quite awhile now, the name Khaled Hosseini has been on the lips of readers everywhere; even non-readers have fallen prey to the siren that is The Kite Runner. I thought I had escaped unscathed, but now that his second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns, has been released (again to much acclaim), it seems Hosseini is a force that cannot be ignored. Tired of being one of the few remaining people who hasn’t read The Kite Runner, I decided to rectify the problem, duly dubious that something so celebrated could be any good.

With such doubt firmly entrenched in my mind, I began this book fully expecting to hate it. In fact, I wanted to hate it, wanting instead to separate myself from the masses clamoring Khaled Hosseini’s greatness to anyone and everyone who would listen. I thought, I am better than the mewling hoards. I am educated. I read "quality literature." I am not a sheep. I will not like The Kite Runner.


baa, baa


I could immediately see why The Kite Runner has attracted both readers and non-readers alike; Hosseini spins a complex, intelligent tale while keeping his prose simple and readable, and I was able to read half the book in a single sitting without becoming bored and resorting to procrastinating on the Internet. Furthermore, his story involves several elements that resonate well on a subconscious level: archetypal figures, a comforting parallelism that nicely rounds out the second half of the novel, and even a little hero quest worthy of Campbell. It's difficult not to like something that combines intelligence and simplicity, modernity and tradition.

For those who don’t yet know the story, The Kite Runner is the story of Amir, who, as a boy growing up in Afghanistan, commits a shameful deed out of a desperate need to gain his father's love and attention. What follows is, of sorts, a tale of heroic redemption: after war breaks out, father and son leave their country and eventually arrive in America, where Amir grows as an individual and improves his relationship with his father. And yet, despite America's bringing father and son closer together, Amir still has not reconciled himself with his past; it is only upon returning to Afghanistan that he can possibly redeem both himself and those he loves.

To this tale of the modern hero, a hero flawed and craven, a character who almost doesn't even want to be redeemed, is added the most important character of them all: Afghanistan. I don’t enjoy books that rely on great amounts of description, but I never felt The Kite Runner’s description to be overbearing. And yet, after reading the book, I feel as though there must have been a lot of it, for Hosseini's Afghanistan remains clearly etched in my mind. Like most Americans, I only know of the Middle East what I see on tv, a pastiche of desolate streets, decimated buildings, and bedraggled children, but Hosseini shows us an Afghanistan beautiful and full of promise before it was destroyed by fighting.

To be fair, The Kite Runner isn't entirely perfect. There is a tendency toward the sentence fragment which seemed a little overused after awhile. Then again, perhaps I am being pedantic. It's been known to happen. Also, a few scenes were slightly predictable, but I do point out foreshadowing for a living. These things pale in comparison to the power of the work as a whole, and I really can't quibble over such minor flaws.

In a nutshell: If you haven't read it yet, allow me to echo the multitude of people who have already said to me, "You haven't read The Kite Runner yet?? Ohmygod, you SO have to read it! It is SO AMAZING. I like totally cried."

I, for one, did NOT cry. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your review which I found both forthcoming and comprehensive in scope.

Josephine Damian said...

I found the Afghanistan scenes quite compelling and thought the dynamics between father and son drove the story, but when the dad dies, and after the move to the US, there was no more conflict in the part of the book where I expected "the rising action of the second act" - after the mid-point, and life in the US did not interest me as much as life in Afghanistan.

I stopped reading, but I find that 80% of the books I read fall apart in the second act - which is certainly a valuable lesson learned as a writer.

Anonymous said...

I'm always tempted to pick up this book whenever I see it, but then I realize I can't bring myself to care about it. I just know I'd never get around to it, but you know, I take a strange sort of pride in being able to say I haven't read it. Another blogger (Adam at Literary Gas, whom I enjoy reading) has said that it's the worst book he's ever read, and since he and I have similar reading tastes and opinions, when he says "Don't read this," I'm inclined to go along with him.

Stephanie said...

This is one of those books that I have seen and heard about. Great things too. And yet, I have never actually WANTED to read it!!

Maybe I should change that point of view!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about trying to stay away from the good books that everyone reads.

However I may read this now that you have given it such a glowing and honest review.

Sam said...

And there I was, thinking that I was the last person on the planet to read this one. Looks like we broke down and read it at almost exactly the same time, and my reaction was much the same as yours...before AND after reading it.

Unknown said...

Forced to read this for a book club I was determined to not like it-- I lost. But, not ready to read his second book-- well, not yet.
Great review. Nice sheep.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You know, that's what I love about this blog. I can count on you to be honest and NOT bleat with the masses.
Thanks for the review.
Is it shameful to say that I haven't heard the buzz on this one?
*off to check out the book on Amazon*

Bibliolatrist said...

Yeah, I too am not yet ready to read his second effort. I'm sure I will, though...after awhile.