Monday, September 03, 2007

Summer Review

My summer is officially over. With that, here's a review of everything I read during June, July, and August. I set a few challenges for myself. I failed a few challenges for myself. Oh well. I read a lot. That's all that matters.

With that, I give you my summer in review (please note that the two starred entries refer to books I was, for whatever reason, unable to complete):


BOOKS READ IN JUNE
1. unSpun
2. Jude the Obscure
3. State of Fear
4. The Butterfly Revolution
5. Blood Meridian
6. Cosmicomics
7. On the Road*
8. New British Poetry
9. The Book of Nightmares
10. Grendel
11. The Ghost Writer
12. The Fortress of Solitude
13. The Collector


BOOKS READ IN JULY
1. Here, Bullet
2. Eeeee Eee Eeee
3. Northanger Abbey
4. Everything's Eventual
5. Year of Wonders
6. Light of Day
7. The Man in the High Castle
8. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
9. Philosophy in the Boudoir*
10. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
11. Ubik
12. Hell Hath No Fury


BOOKS READ IN AUGUST
1. Klepto
2. Sharp Objects
3. Come Closer
4. We Need to Talk About Kevin
5. Bag of Bones
6. More Than Human
7. The Voice at 3:00 A.M.


Only seven books in August??? Seven??? That's bullshit!! Damn. I shoulda done better. So, in sum: I attempted to read 32 books this summer, and I completed 30. I guess that's okay. As for my challenges, there were three:


1. THE UNLOVED CHALLENGE.

The purpose of this challenge was to read all those purchased but unread books that remain on my bookshelves. This is a challenge I set for myself at some point once a year. I always fail.

STATUS OF CHALLENGE: FAILURE, as always. While I did knock a few down, I didn't read enough unloved books. Not to mention the fact that I was repeatedly unable to resist the siren call of Amazon.com, causing more books to arrive at my door.


2. THE POETRY CHALLENGE

The purpose of this challenge was to read all the poetry I could handle this summer.

STATUS OF CHALLENGE: MEDIOCRE. I read four books of poetry: New British Poetry, The Book of Nightmares, Here, Bullet, and The Voice at 3:00 A.M.. More were purchased but not yet encountered. I could have done better with this one, but since it represents my most successful challenge of the summer, I suppose I should be happy.


3. THE GOTHIC CHALLENGE

The purpose of this challenge was to read more classics of the Gothic genre.

STATUS OF CHALLENGE: FAILURE. With the exception of Northanger Abbey, I completed zero additional Gothic classics this summer, even though I purchased nearly them all. Wow I'm good.

Okay, so the challenges didn't really work for me this summer. Better luck next year!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You probably read more this summer than my husband has read his entire life. I think I read less in the summer than the winter. I would rather be "doing" in the sunshine and saving up the deep reads for fireside reading.
My annual goal is 52 books. I think I'm on Year 3 and the first year I surpassed, second was a bit shy and this year appear to be right on track, since I also write a novel and a couple of piles of stories each year I cut myself a little slack. I'm going to have to compare my reading list from mu website with yours and see if I sunk your battleship. Keep the good words coming.

Anonymous said...

I'm very much in awe. You have a good list of accomplishment here. Blood Meridian especially. I'm jealous.

Bibliolatrist said...

Thanks to both of you! I know I didn't do too badly, but I always have delusions of grandeur and expect the possible from myself.

ErinPaperbackstash said...

At least you got up the courage to try! :) I haven't done that much.