Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The most important facts hold true

When You Are Engulfed in Flames
David Sedaris

My latest review is available at Pajiba, this time on the latest by David Sedaris, When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

Many critics complain that this latest collection of personal essays isn't as hilarious as previous collections, such as Naked, which, to be fair, made me wet my pants from laughing too hard. However, comparing Engulfed to Naked is, in my mind, a bit unfair, and you can read what I say in response to such criticism here.

In a nutshell: Perhaps not as hilarious as previous works, but that doesn't mean When You Are Engulfed in Flames isn't worth the read.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

3 comments:

Bybee said...

Wonderful review. I gotta have this one. Thanks!

JRH456 said...

I loved it... possibly biased because I absolutely love him! Then again i did almost wet my pants both times I read naked and once when I read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

chantelguertin said...

One of my friends has been telling me for a long time how much she loves David Sedaris, so I BookMooch'd his backlist, but decided to start with When You Are Engulfed... I think he's hilarious already but I'd heard the same things - that his other books were funnier, so I can't wait to read them in reverse order. PS Great review you did on the link.