Thursday, June 19, 2008

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?

The Millions posted an interesting question recently: When it comes to the books you collect, New, Used, or Antiquarian?

My answer is not as simple as it once would have been. The me of a few months ago would unequivocally answer "new!" while sneering at the idea of a lowly, used book.

The me of today isn't so sure.

Of course, there is nothing like a new book; as Beecher knew, human nature is never so weak as in a bookstore. (I assume he meant a bookstore specializing in new books -- if he didn't, then forget him.) I love the feel, the smell, the promise of a new book. Unfortunately, when I spend my heard-earned dollars on a new book that ends up being -- to put it rather bluntly -- a major piece of shit, I get angry, which, of course, leads me to consider purchasing used books.

However, I don't really like used books. I won't totally avoid them, so long as they are in good condition; I don't like to see creases or other people's writing. Basically, if I can pretend it's new, used is okay.

And as for antiquarian? Yeah, right. I have neither the money nor the space.

Speaking of both money and space, I've had to come to terms with the fact that I've been spending way too much on books as of late. While I'm not a big spender when it comes to clothes and shoes, that doesn't mean I can make up for it with books, especially when my limited book-space is becoming increasingly endangered. For this reason, I've taken to -- don't keel over, now -- the library. I'm still getting used to the idea -- I don't like having to part with a good book once I've read it, but I also can't afford to buy and store everything I read, especially when not every read is worth the expense.

So, to finally answer the question: I prefer new, but used is also acceptable, and library books are appearing in my hands more and more.

What do you prefer, New, Used, or Antiquarian?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm with you on so many points! I too spend entirely too much money on books. I often look at women on the street and wonder why they're so much better dressed than I am. Then I go home and look at my piles and piles of books, and think... Oh.

I've given up on library books. Over the years I've tried on and off to be a good library patron but I just can't do it. Why? Because they always want their books back when sometimes I want to keep them. People are always telling me that if I like a library book then I can just go buy on it later. I haven't figured out how to explain to them that it's just not the same.

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer used books, for a few reasons. The first is the price; if I'm getting used books, I can usually afford to buy more at a time, because they're nice and cheap. I also like knowing that other people have read the same books as I have, before me ... there's a feeling of being connected to other readers (even though obviously I have no idea who any of them are).

Amanda said...

While new books are amazing, cracking open never before opened spine of the book, and the way the cover is all pristine and beautiful...I love used books better. I can't fanthom spending $25 on a new book. Especially when many used book stores have some never before read books at a more reasonable price.

And I guess my love of history let me imagine where the used book was before it fell into my hands. I especially love it when I know the book was a gift because on the inside it says, To so and so from so and so. Or if I find something in it that was used as a book mark, like a receipt or something.

JRH456 said...

I need my books to be new... and library books, well its not the same to curl up in bed with a library book... they smell funny... I swear they do!

Melanie said...

Amanda, I also like to consider the history of a used book. While I don't like falling apart ones, I like that you find little treasures like bookmarks or underlines that actually give you a peek into the previous owner's mind. I love the library as well; over half the books i read are library ones.

Anonymous said...

Bibli:

You really need to discover the wonders of a GOOD used book store.

I agree that most used book stores sell trashy mass market paperbacks of genre fiction, and, if one is lucky, a shelf or two of "good stuff."

We travel a lot, and I am always on the lookout for good used book stores. Recently, we found one in Knoxville, TN -- Book Eddy. We bought about 2 dozen books, and only one or two had any marks at all. The hard backs all had their dust jackets in plastic, and we found a lot of obscure titles.

A friend recommended David Malouf, another Australian writer, to me, and I found six of his books there. All used, and the two hardbacks were first editions in pristine shape.

Since I have been so long away from the Philadelphia area, I am out of touch with the good used stores there, but if I come across any in your area, I will let you know.

See my blog for notes about Malouf, and a list of good stores I have found around the country. I am always adding to the list, and I hope to find a good one in Anaheim, CA next weekend.

-Chiron

Chiron said...

I thought my URL would appear, but it didn't. Here it is:

http://rabbitreader.blogspot.com

--Chiron

Anonymous said...

Eh, I guess I'm in the minority, because I LOVE library books. The very idea of public libraries moves me to tears sometimes -- the idea that people would pool their money so that everyone can have free access to books.

trish said...

My preference is for new books. I don't like books that are falling apart or have creases on the cover. I take good care of my books (even paperback), so I don't like to get a book that's already worn.