Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bleh.

Runaway
Steve Simpson

Steve Simpson's Runaway aims to blend fiction and reality by depicting many issues relevant to teen life, such as abuse, violence, and neglect.

The story follows -- you know what? I don't even want to waste anymore time writing about it.

Christine over at She Reads Books has had pretty much the same exact reaction I had to Runaway. She's written a great post about it, so go there to read what she (and, in turn, I) thought about this "super adventure" (to quote the book's cover).

In a nutshell: Grammar = good, people. Really.

Bibliolatry Scale: abandoned

1 comment:

heather (errantdreams) said...

*goes off to read the other review and makes it only halfway through the excerpt*

'I was just identifying, that’s all.'

Now mind you, I knew some pretty adult kids (myself included), but not ONE of them would have said something like that.

The repetition and short gulps of sentences and fragments come together all wrong. I think the author probably thought he was simulating the thoughts and flight of the scared kid, but it isn't consistent enough to work. Joyce Carol Oates makes that kind of thing work, even though it can be tough to read, but this guy isn't Oates and isn't pulling it off.