Wednesday, August 27, 2008

there is no art without intoxication

boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
Zach Plague

Zach Plague’s inventive new novel boring boring boring boring boring boring boring is art that critiques art. It’s not easy to read, but those who enjoy the visual arts or who are involved in the art world will appreciate Plague’s cutting criticism.

The novel is centered on The University of Fine Arts and Academia, which has reduced art to meaningless drivel that lacks any creativity or originality whatsoever. Because art has lost all meaning to these would-be artists, art is simply another facet of the “boring, boring,” or the emptiness which engulfs them. The “boring, boring” is everywhere, and art, which should supply a refuge from it, has become instead another mouth of the machine that devours them.

The students themselves, apart from their “artistic” tendencies, are much like college students everywhere. They drink, take drugs, attend parties, engage in meaningless hookups. They aren’t very good at their schoolwork, nor do many of them seem to care. Art is another way to become famous, to get rich, to make a name for themselves. Any desire to create, to be original, has fallen by the wayside.

Two students, however, seek something more, and I’m sure it’s no surprise to hear that these two, Adelaide and Allister, are the stars of the show. Adelaide and Allister are subversives who want to undermine all that The University stands for; at the same time, they are also just two normal teens who want to be happy. Each is hunted by the powers that be, for different reasons.

I’m glossing over quite a bit of the plot here, but that’s because the storyline of boring boring boring boring boring boring boring is not really what stood out in my mind. True, Plague makes many trenchant remarks about the nature of the art and those who create it, but, as someone who has never truly been a visual-arts kinda gal, these points were not as important to me. The novel’s appearance and format, however, is truly eye-catching, and when the plot lagged, I took interest in the physical book in my hands.

First, it must be noted that boring boring boring boring boring boring boring can be purchased in one of several formats. It appears in novel form (although a rather unconventional one at that), a series of posters, and as a CD. I haven’t tried the CD version, so I can’t comment on it, but I did receive a sample poster, and I have to say that, while I wouldn’t read the book that way, it’s a pretty rocking idea. If I were a poster person still (oh, the days gone by), I could see myself having a lot of fun with them in my dorm room.


an overview of the novel's formats


The novel itself, as I noted above, is quite unconventional. Handwritten pages merge with typed ones, and fonts expand and decrease and tilt across the page. The novel appears to be compiled by hand, as though bits and scraps of thoughts and writing had been pieced together. That’s not to say it’s difficult to read boring boring boring boring boring boring boring; in fact, the opposite is true. The innovative design added an extra incentive to move further in the book, as I wanted to see what shape it would take next.

I can’t say this was a perfect read, however. The novel’s design interested me more than the story or the characters. Unfortunately, an innovative design can only go so far. Still, I enjoyed Plague's analysis of the art world as well as the method in which he deployed his message. I'm interested to see what's next up his sleeve.

In a nutshell: Daring and innovative, but I was left ultimately cold by the story and the characters.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- where do you come up with this stuff? I checked out the online version you linked to. Not sure if I'm fascinated or repelled. Maybe a little of both. I think I want a copy, though.