Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas loot!

Santa was, once again, very good to me. Here's a list of all the books I received for Christmas. Have you read any of these?

The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories
Sebastian Barry, The Secret Scripture
Christopher Buckley, Boomsday
Tracy Chevalier, Burning Bright
Deborah Eisenberg, Twilight of the Superheroes
George Eliot, The Lifted Veil and Brother Jacob
Rachel Klein, The Moth Diaries
Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood
Arthur Phillips, The Egyptologist
Douglas Preston, The Monster of Florence
Peter Straub, Ghost Story
Terese Svoboda, Trailer Girl
Peter Watts, Blindsight
Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind

8 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

I've read the Zafon- and LOVED it. It was one of my favorite books of 2008. LOVED it. I'm a big fan of Flannery O'Connor too. You've got some great reading ahead! :)

Molly said...

I have the Oxford book of ghost stories - and I read a few of them for Carl's RIP challenge this past fall. The ones I read I really enjoyed.

I also read The Lifted Veil two years ago for a summer school class and also enjoyed it.

I think you are set for some wonderful winter reading.

Happy Holidays!

Jen K said...

I loved Shadow of the Wind. I've also read The Secret Scripture and it was so-so. Interesting story, some parts were well-done but other part dragged too much and seemed rather pointless.

Ana S. said...

Oooh - fantastic loot. I've had my eye on the first two for a while, actually.

Kim said...

Love the Victorian Ghost Stories--it's a perennial favorite that gets at least partially reread every year. It may, however, lead to the desire to hunt down the collected works of M.R. James and J.S. LeFanu--it certainly did for me! Luckily both authors are easily available and well worth the look. Marvelous collection.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

I have read The Moth Diaries and liked it a lot.

Also The Shadow of the Wind, which I didn't like (apart from Fermín, who was a great character). It was not as bad as The Kite Runner, but certainly not worth the hype in my view (but I know mine is a minority opinion).

Mimi said...

I got Shadow of the Wind for Christmas as well, it sounds good.

Anonymous said...

The Monster of Florence should be right up your bad-nasty alley, though it is non-fiction. With freaky descriptions AND photos for your pleasure!