Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Best and Worst of 2009

Here are my favorite -- and least favorite -- books of the year.

First, the best. I picked my favorite ten, but they aren't ranked beyond that. I tried to rank them in order of favorites, but it was simply too difficult. Quite simply, these were all amazing novels.


THE BEST

- Benjamin, Alice I Have Been
- Collins, The Hunger Games
- DuMaurier, My Cousin Rachel
- DuMaurier, Rebecca
- Phillips, Angelica
- Phillips, The Egyptologist
- Savage, Firmin
- Simmons, Drood
- Waters, The Little Stranger
- Vidal, Julian


And now, for my least favorites. I gave decent reviews of some at the time but found they do not hold up in retrospect. Thus, this list is not so much about "bad" books as it is about books I simply didn't enjoy. (Labeling it "The Worst" is somewhat of a misnomer, but will work in place of the wordier "Books I Didn't Jive With.")


THE WORST

5 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

You're the only other blogger I know who also enjoyed THE EGYPTOLOGIST - everyone else seems to dislike it to varying degrees.

And you already know I loved TLS. :) I'm looking forward to reading Fermin next year.

Cath said...

Oooh, I am so much looking forward to Alice I Have Been because of your review!

Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I think you should cut and paste your "best of" to me... then, I can logically say that someone told me to read these books. ;-)

Happy new year! Another year of blogging the books... crazy!

Sandra said...

I enjoyed Firmin, The Little Stranger (it's on my best list too) and Rebbecca very much myself. I haven't read any on your worst list. It really is hard to pick only a few when it comes to the best. My 2009 best list is here:

http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/pages-read-challenge.html

My blog is about literary fiction by the way.

Bybee said...

JPOD didn't do a thing for me, either.