Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I can't believe I cried over a rat

Firmin
Sam Savage

If you're a book lover, you absolutely must read Firmin. Firmin is, well, a rat -- but he's the most likable fellow I've met in a long time.

Living in the basement of a bookstore in the 1960s, Firmin survives his early years by munching on the likes of Joyce and Melville. Soon, however, he learns that books are not for eating, but for reading -- and read he does, becoming arguably the most-educated rat to ever live.

Unfortunately, with his increasing knowledge comes a self-awareness that is none too kind. As Firmin becomes all-too-aware of his own limitations, he yearns for a greater life than the one he must endure.

Filled with allusions and pathos, Firmin is a book for everyone -- but especially for those who love literature. And look: the book comes replete with its own little bite mark. Sigh. I love you, Firmin!

In a nutshell: This is one rat you can't help but love. You can live with me, little buddy!

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: I bought this one myself.



4 comments:

Ana S. said...

I want this! The premise reminds me somewhat of The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett, which I LOVED.

Molly said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as well!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

This one sounds fun and funny - a great light read. I'll definitely be looking out for it this year!

mee said...

What a coincidence! I just read and reviewed this book as well. (Review just posted today)